Most Commonly used ››› Traffic Collocations
movement of vehicles on the road or along a particular route
1. AIR TRAFFIC
traffic created by movement of aircrafts
- Delays may continue as technicians are trying to solve problems with air traffic control.
2. AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS
people who maintain the safe flow of air traffic from air traffic towers
- I’d love to work as an air traffic controller, but my English is not good enough..
3. COMMUTER TRAFFIC/ RUSH-HOUR TRAFFIC
traffic created by commuters (people going to work or returning home from work)
- Why do you want to leave so early? There’s heavy commuter traffic on Monday mornings.
- I wish I could avoid rush-hour traffic, but I start work at 8 o’clock every morning.
4. HEAVY TRAFFIC
when traffic is heavy, the vehicles move very slowly
- Do you slalom in heavy traffic?
- Sorry, I’m late. I was stuck in heavy traffic for an hour.
5. HOLD UP TRAFFIC
stop the flow of vehicles
- Sorry, I’m late. An elephant was holding up traffic on Oxford Street.
6. THROUGH TRAFFIC
traffic that doesn’t stop in town
- The Mayor would like to discourage through traffic downtown.
7. ONCOMING TRAFFIC
vehicles travelling in the opposite direction to you
- Do you see that sign? It means you have to give way to oncoming traffic.
8. REDUCE TRAFFIC
have fewer vehicles on the road
- Do you think it would reduce traffic if petrol was more expensive?
9. SLOW DOWN TRAFFIC
make vehicles move slower
- Don’t drive to work today. The protest outside the Parliament will slow down traffic for sure.
- Do speed bumps really slow down traffic?
10. TRAFFIC ACCIDENT
collision of vehicles
- People texting on their mobiles are causing more and more traffic accidents.
11. TRAFFIC CALMING
use of physical design to slow down traffic (speed bumps, narrowed roads, radar speed signs etc.)
- They’re planning to install traffic calming measures in the area.
12. TRAFFIC CIRCLE (AmE)
a type of intersection in which vehicles use a one-way circular road (BrE: roundabout)
- Be careful! People can’t use traffic circles properly around here.
13. TRAFFIC CONE
a cone-shaped object that is placed on the road to redirect traffic
- I hit a traffic cone lying in the middle of the road.
14. TRAFFIC FLOW
the continuous movement of traffic
- Roadside vendors often disturb traffic flow.
15. TRAFFIC ISLAND
raised area between opposing traffic lanes
- I saw an accident this morning. A BMW drove through a traffic island and overturned.
16. TRAFFIC JAM
traffic so heavy that vehicles can’t move
- You should take a bus. There are always traffic jams in the centre.
17. TRAFFIC LIGHT(S)
coloured lights (red, amber, green) that control traffic at road junctions
- When a traffic light is showing amber, you have to stop.
18. TRAFFIC POLICE
the police department involved with traffic policing
- Try to remain calm and polite when stopped by the traffic police.
19. TRAFFIC WARDEN
a person whose job is to check if vehicles are parked legally
- My husband got into an argument with a traffic warden. I was so embarrassed.