Equivalent TO or OF
The adjective equivalent is used when something has the same value, amount, meaning etc. as another thing. The most common preposition used with this adjective is to:
- 150 grams are equivalent to a medium-sized potato.
- James thought retiring was equivalent to a death sentence.
- Seven human years are equivalent to one dog year.
When equivalent is used as a noun, the most common preposition is of:
- 150 grams are the equivalent of a medium-sized potato.
- James thought retiring is the equivalent of a death sentence.
- Seven human years are the equivalent of one dog year.
Recommended for you: Is TO an article, preposition or infinitive?