How to Express Good Wishes Using MAY?
In formal English, the modal verb ‘may’ is often used when expressing your hopes and wishes for others. It usually stands at the beginning of the sentence:
- May you have a prosperous New Year.
- May you both be very happy.
- May he rest in peace.
- May the sun shine wherever you go.
- May countless blessings come your way.
- May your birthday bring you everything you wish for.
10 New Year Wishes and Useful Expressions
Sometimes, there’s an introductory phrase before ’may’:
- Let us pray that he may return safe and sound to us.
- Let us hope that the young couple may enjoy many happy years to come.
Remember to use the above expressions in formal contexts only. When you’re with friends, you may expresses your wishes and hopes in the following ways:
- I hope you’ll have a fantastic holiday.
- Have a fabulous birthday!
- Hope you two will be very happy.
- Let’s hope you’ll pass all your exams.
GOOD WISHES FOR WEDDING
- Wishing you a happy and prosperous married life.
- May this special day give you countless fond memories.
- Here goes my wedding wish for you. May your conjugal life be filled with joy and happiness.
- You’re a perfect pair. I pray to heaven to bring you days filled with compassion and love.
- Warm wishes to you on your wedding day. May you never lose sight of your love for each other.
GOOD WISHES FOR NEWBORN
- Congratulations on the arrival of your latest family member. May your days together be filled with joy.
- I’m really excited that your baby has arrived happy and healthy. May you find lots of happiness in your new role as proud parents.
- May your son’s life be filled with happiness and love.
- Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. May her home always be blessed with love and happiness.
- Wishing your little bundle of joy a lifetime of happiness and laughter.
GOOD WISHES FOR EXAMS
- Be confident and knock them dead. All the best.
- Good luck for your exams. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
- I wish you all the best for your exam. You’re going to make it.
- I wish you good luck for your exam. Give it your best.
- Don’t let the stress get under your skin. Ace your exams. Good luck!