List Of Phrasal Verbs With PUT!
Phrasal Verbs with PUT
1. Put Aside
- We have to put some money aside for our trip to New York.
To reserve something for a customer to pick up later.
- We will put this dress aside for you.
To ignore or forget something
- Jeffrey and Mark became really good friends, once they put their differences aside.
2. Put up with
- The neighbors couldn’t put up with our noise anymore, and they called the police.
To accept an annoying situation or behavior
- We had to put up with her habit of saying out loud what she thinks. She is our aunt after all.
3. Put off
- We need to put off our trip to Hawaii this year.
4. Put away
To clean, to store, to put something in its place after using it
- Please put away your toys, children!
- I will put away my motorcycle in the garage.
To put someone into prison
- They put him away for more than 20 years.
To save money
- Jennifer put some money away for her future children.
5. Put through
To connect somebody through telephone
- I will put you through to the general manager. Hold on a minute!
To make someone experience difficulties
- He put me through a lot of trouble at work today.
6. Put out
To stop from burning
- He put out a fire pretty quickly.
- Jake put out his cigarette, and went to bed.
7. Put up
To give food and accommodation
- Give them a call, and they will put you up for a few nights.
To increase the price of something
- The government has put up the gas prices again.
8. Put down
- My boss is constantly putting me down in front of everyone.
To stop carrying something
- I asked him to put the heavy box down.
To pay a deposit
- I put the first 2000$ down on my new car.
9. Put across
To communicate something
- He put his ideas across pretty clearly.
10. Put on
To dress oneself
- She put on a gorgeous dress.
To gain weight
- She put on 15 kilos during the summer.
11. Put back
To put something where it was before
- Please, put all the books back on the shelf.
To interrupt a conversation
- Jake put in his boss’s speech during the meeting.
To make a financial contribution
- Every employee need to put in 10$ for Jessica’s birthday.
Recommended for you:
Phrasal Verbs with Look
Common Phrasal Verbs with ON!
15 most useful phrasal verbs [Infographic]
List Of Phrasal Verbs with GET!
Most commonly used Phrasal Verbs about Family
Phrasal Verbs with BE!