“That’s the postman, isn’t it”. Why is this question tag correct?
When the first part of the sentence in a question tag starts with this is or that is we must use the question tag isn’t it?.
This may seem a bit strange if you are referring to a person as you might think “isn’t he?” or “isn’t she?” is the correct question tag. This is a grammar aspect that you should highlight when studying question tags.
Below are some examples of this type of question tag:
- That’s the postman, isn’t it?
- That’s the restaurant you like, isn’t it?
- That is his new girlfriend, isn’t it?
- This is the new student, isn’t it?
- This is the cinema we went to years ago, isn’t it?
- This is the correct address, isn’t it?