What is a EUPHEMISM?
When you want to avoid using a word or expression that would be too rude or embarrassing to say, you can use a more polite synonym instead. This substitute is called a euphemism.
For example, a euphemism for “urinate” is “going to the bathroom”. Some other examples are:
- Jesus – Jeez
- Die – Pass away, Depart
- Pornography – Adult entertainment
- Unemployed – Between jobs
- Fire an employee – Letting an employee go
- Pregnant – In the family way
- Old – Mature, Senior
- Have sex – Sleep together
- Menstruation – That time of the month
- Shit – Shoot
Recommended for you: 50 Popular English Idioms to Sound Like a Native Speaker