What is the difference between MUST and SHOULD?
The difference between MUST and SHOULD
‘Must’ and ‘should’ are both modal verbs.
MUST is used when expressing obligation or an unavoidable requirement, whereas SHOULD is more of a recommendation, or simply a desirable goal.
Similar to ‘have to’ – strong obligation.
– You must abide by the law.
– You mustn’t smoke indoors, it is illegal.
– You must arrive on time; otherwise, we will leave without you.
Similar to ‘ought to’ – a suggestion.
– You should try to get some sleep; it is very late, and you have a lot of work to do tomorrow.
– You shouldn’t be so mean to your brother, he’s just trying to help you.
– You should visit us more often, we hardly ever see you nowadays.