You cannot expect respect from him because he is lost______ sense of shame. options are a)in b)to c)into and why is the answer so?
BE LOST IN SOMETHING means BE IMMERSED/ENGROSSED IN something.
That is to say, you are so focused on one thing that you can’t do anything else.
- Sorry, I didn’t hear you. I was lost in my own thoughts.
So, the correct answer seems to be A, ‘lost in sense of shame’…
To be honest, the whole sentence doesn’t make much sense to me 🙂 I’m not sure what they mean…
I completely agree with you Mel. The original sentence does not make much sense at all. If I were to rewrite it in sound grammatical form, it would be written as one of the following:
– You cannot expect respect from him, because he has lost all sense of shame.
– You cannot expect respect from him, because he has lost his sense of shame.
In this context, it refers to a motivating logical awareness (or a lack of) of ethical responsibility or moral principles.
In the same way, you would use ‘a sense of duty’ or ‘a sense of right and wrong’.
– You cannot expect support from him, because he has lost his sense of duty.
– You cannot expect respect from him, because he has lost his sense of right and wrong.