The adjective equivalent is used when something has the same value, amount, meaning etc. as another thing. The most common preposition used with this adjective is to:
- 150 grams are equivalent to a medium-sized potato.
- James thought retiring was equivalent to a death sentence.
- Seven human years are equivalent to one dog year.
When equivalent is used as a noun, the most common preposition is of:
- 150 grams are the equivalent of a medium-sized potato.
- James thought retiring is the equivalent of a death sentence.
- Seven human years are the equivalent of one dog year.
Recommended for you: Is TO an article, preposition or infinitive?