“You wish” is usually used in response to a previous statement in which something was said which they believe isn’t true, although the speaker may like to think so. Here is an example dialogue:
- Tom: if I met Angelina Jolie, she would fall in love with me.
- Sarah: You wish! You’re not as handsome as Brad Pitt.
- John: I could beat you in a race any day.
- Adam: You Wish! You’re slower than a turtle!
“You wish” is a casual phrase usually only used between friends. It’s phrase used for friendly banter or speaking with each other jokingly. In some cases, it’s also used as a mild insult.
- Man: You’re beautiful. We should go on a date.
- Woman: You wish! I don’t want to date you.