to be fixed and unable to change
- He is set in his ways. He will never change.
to place something so that it is surrounded by a medium
- Can you set that statue in the cement before it dries?
to have expectations that something will happen
- My daughter was set on going to the beach, but the weather was bad that day.
to place something on a specific location
- Can you set that flowerpot on the steps?
to put together
- After opening all of the presents during Christmas, they set up the train set.
to have as a goal
- The team set out to increase profits by 50%.
to start a journey with a goal in mind
- They set off the day wanting to eliminate all of the trash on the beach.