Most Common School Objects you need to know
- Students usually sit at these during class to work. The teacher usually has one too.
- The teacher usually writes on this large, black panel at the front of the classroom.
- What do you write on chalkboards with?
4. White board
- Often, chalkboards are replaced by these, which require markers to be written on.
- This tool can erase marker, chalk, or pencil.
6. Dry erase marker / Expo marker
- This type of eraser is specifically used for white boards.
7. Slideshow / powerpoint presentation
- Nowadays, teachers often use a _____ to electronically present information to the class in the form of a series of projected slides.
- If you want to show a slideshow or video to the class, you need to use a _____.
9. Bulletin board
- This is a type of panel, usually made of cork, used to post flyers, announcements, or any piece of paper.
10. Sticky note / post-it note
- This is a small, square piece of paper with an adhesive area so that it can stick to things. They’re often used for small notes or reminders.
11. Flash cards
- If you need to memorize a list of vocabulary terms, you can make a series of double-sided _____ for a useful study tool.
12. Index card
- This is a 3 x 5” piece of paper commonly used to make flash cards.
- This is the most common writing utensil used in classrooms, made of wood, graphite, and a rubber eraser.
- This writing utensil uses ink instead of graphite.
15. Fountain pen
- This is a special type of pen with a refillable ink reservoir, commonly used for cursive writing.
16. Ballpoint pen
- This type of pen uses a tiny ball as its writing point instead of a nib.
17. Mechanical pencils
- Nowadays, wooden pencils are becoming replaced by _____, which use sticks of premade graphite that can be pushed out of the plastic or metallic pencil.
- Even though pencils are made with graphite, we commonly call it _____, which is what pencils used to be made of.
- This is a small compartment where you can leave your belongings during the school day.
20. Cubbyhole / cubby
- Little kids in elementary school will typically place their things in this type of compartment instead of a locker.
- This chart shows the days of each month and often maps out a class’ lesson plan over the school year.
- Teachers often hang _____ around their classroom, especially for inspirational motivation.
- This is a general term used for paper, pens, and other office materials.
- You can use a _____ to quickly fasten several papers together.
25. Binder / three-ringed binder
- You can use a _____ to keep loose papers together under one cover.
26. Hole puncher
- If you want to put your papers in a binder, you should use a _____ so that they can slip into the rings.
27. Lined paper / notebook paper / ruled paper
- This kind of paper contains blue lines to help you write neatly.
28. Printer paper
- Blank, white paper is commonly known as _____.
- A _____ is a small book with empty pages to be written on.
- Most classes use published books containing curriculum material that are known as _____.
- What do you call a book that tells a fictional story instead of factual information?
32. Pencil case
- What do you call a small, portable container used to hold pencils, pens, and other small stationery items?
- Most students carry a _____ on their shoulders to hold their books and school supplies.
- This is a diagram of the world or a smaller geographical area, commonly found on classroom walls.
- This is a three-dimensional model of the world, commonly found in classrooms.
36. Bookshelf / bookcase
- What type of furniture is used to hold books, in either a classroom or a house?
- This is a special marker with bright ink that can be used to mark special passages in a reading.
- If your friend was absent from class and asked you to help them catch up, you should give them the _____ you took in class.
- Students like to look up at this to see when class is going to end.
40. School bell
- This sound signifies the beginning and end of a class period.
41. Fire alarm
- Pulling this will cause everyone to evacuate the building and bring firefighters to the school.
42. Pen holder / pencil holder
- This is a cup-like container used to hold pens and pencils, commonly found on the teacher’s desk.
- If you need to hold several papers together temporarily, use a _____.
44. Binder clip
- If the papers are too thick for a paperclip to hold, try a _____ instead.
- What do you call a thin strip of plastic with sticky adhesive on one side?
46. Tape dispenser
- What do you call the container that holds and cuts the tape?
- This is a type of adhesive in liquid form, often found in a bottle.
48. Glue stick
- This is a cylindrical container that contains a solid adhesive.
- If you’re in a college lecture room, the professor might stand before a _____ while giving their lesson.
- The professor might also have to speak through a _____ if the lecture room is too big for them to be heard.
- This stationery item is used to cut paper.
- If you’re taking a math class, you might need to bring this small machine to help you do calculations.
- What do you call a straightedge marked with numbers to help you measure things?
- Many students are caught chewing this in class. You can also find it stuck to the bottoms of desks.
- Drawings or etchings found on desks though are not supposed to be there are called _____.
- This is a chart or small notebook with a calendar that can help you plan future events or assignments.
- This is a device that helps you draw perfect circles and is commonly used in geometry classes.
58. Pencil sharpener
- If the tip of your pencil broke or is getting a bit dull, you’ll need to insert it into a _____.
59. Flash drive
- This is a small device that can transport files from computer to computer.
- This is a term used for papers that a teacher gives out to their students during class.
- What do you call a piece of paper with questions or problems to be worked on during a class period?
- This is a term for many papers stapled together. It can be a reading, a series of worksheets, etc.
- Teachers and professors usually hand out a _____ on the first day of class, which details the course’s curriculum, assignments, and tests.
- If a teacher wants to point to a board or slideshow during class, they can use a long rod, or _____, instead of their finger.
More for you:
25 Classroom Phrases in English for Teachers and Students
42 Easy to Memorize English Idioms Related to School and Education
Formal and Informal Email Phrases
7 Simple Examples of Business Email Writing in English