Gollum-like is an adjective, it means that something or someone resembles, looks like or acts like a Gollum.
Gollum is a fictional character from the novel Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. He is a slimy, ugly, mutated creature. Anything that is described as Gollum-like is seen as hideous or ugly.
- They found a Gollum-like creature in the ocean, it was a mutated fish.
- The children came across a Gollum-like animal in the woods, they were terrified.
This construction is used a lot in English but it doesn’t always require the dash. It is an adjective used to describe the qualities of a noun.
Childlike – this adjective can describe someone or something that is innocent, naive or immature.
- The person is like a child, she is childlike.
- He has a childlike nature, he is very trusting and can be naive at times.
Balloon-like-this describes something or someone that resembles a balloon in some way.
- The balloon-like object in the sea was actually a sea lion.
- The swelling on her ankle was so big, it was balloon-like.
Godlike-a noun that features some of the same characteristics of a god.
- The superhero had godlike powers.
- His grandfather was godlike to him, he idolised his grandfather.