Other ways to say ‘on the other hand’ are listed below, I have included example sentences to show how they would be used in context, in no particular order:
On the other hand
- Green apples are quite sour. These red ones, on the other hand, are incredibly sweet!
- Green apples are quite sour. These red ones, however, are incredibly sweet!
- This particular first aid training course is very lengthy and expensive, but it is, nonetheless, very important.
- I am not a very good football player, nevertheless, football is my passion.
- He went to play football anyway, doctor’s orders notwithstanding.
- Despite being told to rest by the doctor, he went to play football.
In spite of
- In spite of his illness, he continued his vigorous training programme.
Having said that
- I am not a great football player, having said that, I am very passionate about it.
That being said
- I am not a great football player, that being said, I am very passionate about it.
- I am not a great football player, that said, I am very passionate about it.
That having been said
- I am not a great football player, that having been said, I am very passionate about it.
- Albeit his illness, he continued his vigorous training programme.
- Although this apartment is very small, it is extremely expensive.
All the same
- The meal wasn’t very tasty, but they finished everything on their plates all the same.
At any rate
- I don’t think you should play football today, at any rate, the doctor told you to rest.
In any case
- I don’t think you should play football today, in any case, you have been told by the doctor to rest.
- He went to football practice anyway, regardless of what the doctor said.
On the contrary
- He wasn’t as good a football player as his team mates, on the contrary, he was more passionate and driven than any of them.
- Small apartments in this area are very expensive, alternatively, you could settle for a bigger, cheaper apartment in a not so popular part of town.
- The accommodation here is cheaper, whereas, this part of town is very quiet, and there isn’t much to do.
- The apartments in the centre of town are smaller, and more expensive than where we currently live, then again, it is definitely much more livelier, and better for a social life over there.
On the flip side
- We could live in this quiet area for a long time, as we’d pay less rent, and have a bigger apartment, on the flip side, if we moved to the centre of town, we’d have much more to do there, but we’d have to live in a smaller, more expensive apartment, and have less spending money.
- He was a very passionate football player, but he just wasn’t very good at it.
- In contrast to the rest of his team, he wasn’t a very good football player.
- You should do as the doctor told you to, otherwise your illness may deteriorate.