1. Belong to or relate to someone or something
- He has a fear of spiders.
- Jessica is a good friend of Melinda.
- In college, we studied the works of Emmanuel Kant.
2. Show an amount
- We need two pounds of apples.
- There are a lot of students outside.
- Jane ate a handful of sunflower seeds.
3. Show numbers, ages and dates
- I was the 1st of April 2001.
- They have a son of seven.
- She had foreseen an increase of 5% in salary.
4. Contain or consist of
- Could you give me a glass of wine, please?
- A pack of dogs was running around the house.
- He brought her a box of chocolates.
5. Show a reason
- John died of cancer.
- As a result of war, there were many changes.
- We did it out of our own wish.
- This is a tale of bravery and romance.
- He spoke of most important values in his life.
- The King spoke highly of his seven sons.
7. Show someone or something
- They showed us pictures of their babies.
- Could you look at this picture of a house?
8. Show which one
- A city of Chicago = the city called Chicago
- The country of Germany = the country called Germany
- The year of 1998 = the year 1998
9. Show a characteristic
- He was a man of great honor.
- Sheila is a woman of great beauty.
- This meeting is of no importance.
10. Live or come from a certain place
- The people of France are called French.
- He met the Queen of England.
More for you:
What does OFF mean?
I’m off! What does it mean?
1. Not touching something or removed
- His shoe just fell off.
- Please, take off your hat.
- They took the mirror off the wall.
- The deal is off.
- The wedding is off.
3. Not operating or not at work
- Turn off the light, please.
- The electricity is off.
- My computer is always off when I need it.
4. Away from a place
- He ran off without turning back.
- Do you get off at the next station?
5. Near a place
- The hotel was just off the highway.
- Take a turn left, and then you’ll see the shop just off the main road.
6. Far away
- I see a car off in the distance.
- My friend is off in Africa.
- Our anniversary is a long way off.
- All books are 50% off! This is amazing!
- The red apples are 20% off during lunchtime.
More for you:
List of Sentence Connectors in English with Examples!
What does the expression “out of touch” mean?