What is the best way to say thank you? How to say thank you?
This is a very popular question that many of our students often ask. In fact, there are several ways to express your gratitude!
In this article, we will look at the various ways of saying ‘thanks’, and how they would differ in a number of situations. Whether you need to say it formally or informally. To a friend or to a colleague. For a gift or for someone’s help. There’s a whole variety of phrases you can use!
Everyone wants to be appreciated, so say it the right way, and show that you mean it by being sincere, rather than seeming as if you are just saying thank you out of obligation.
It’s not just about expressing verbal gratitude, but also about using the right body language and selecting the right words!
Have a look at the various options below, and pick the right one for the occasion…
Saying Thank You to your TEACHER
Saying Thank You at a WEDDING
Saying Thank You at CHRISTMAS
Saying Thank You to your BOSS
Saying Thank You in FORMAL BUSINESS
SOME BASIC PHRASES
- Thank you
- Thanks a lot.
- Thank you very much.
- Thank you. That’s very kind of you.
- Thank you. You’re so helpful.
- Thanks for your kind words.
- Thank you for coming here today.
- “I love your dress; you look so beautiful!” – “Thank you very much.”
- “Would you like a sandwich?” – “Oh, thanks. I would love one.”
- “Can I help you with anything?” – “No, thank you. I’m fine at the moment.”
SAYING THANK YOU TO YOUR TEACHER
This can be done in many ways. As we know, teachers are generally helpful, considerate, encouraging, and forthcoming towards their students.
The way you say it would depend on what you are saying thank you for. Teachers are some of the most influential and inspiring people that we come across in our lives, yet they tend to be regrettably under-appreciated.
Just writing a simple ‘thank you’ note, or saying a few special words will go a long way, and be remembered for years to come. Even recommending your teacher to others is a great way to show that you really enjoyed studying with them!
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you I really appreciate your help.
- I am eternally grateful for everything you’ve taught me.
- Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me.
- I cannot thank you enough for helping me.
- I am very thankful that you are my teacher.
- How can I ever thank you enough.
- Teachers like you are not easy to find.
- I really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done to help me.
- I am grateful for the positive learning environment you provided me with.
- I have learnt so much, thanks to you.
- Thank you for your guidance and support.
- Thank you for helping me improve.
- I want you to know how much I value your support.
- Your lessons have been very insightful and fun!
- I have had so much fun learning with you!
- Your approach to teaching inspires me.
- Thank you for being patient and helping me improve.
- I wholeheartedly appreciate everything you’ve done for me.
- You’re the best teacher ever!
- “I just want to say how grateful I am that you were my teacher. Your guidance and support has been amazing! Thank you for helping me improve”
- “I really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done to help me. I have learnt so much, and it’s all thanks to you!”
- “You were there for me every step of the way, and I wholeheartedly appreciate everything you’ve done for me.”
- “Thank you for being so patient, and helping me improve! Teachers like you are hard to find, and I’m eternally grateful for everything you’ve taught me.”
- “I had so much fun learning with you. Your lessons were very insightful and interactive, so thank you. You’re the best teacher ever!”
SAYING THANK YOU AT A WEDDING
There are various reasons why people would want to express thanks to wedding guests. Maybe they bought an extravagant wedding present, gave a generous monetary gift, helped with the preparations, or simply turned up to join in the special celebrations!
It could even be that you were the wedding guest, and would like to thank them for the invite! Pick the right words and remember to make everyone feel like you really appreciate what they’ve done for you.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for coming.
- Thank you for joining us today.
- We appreciate you sharing our celebrations with us.
- Thank you for sharing this special day with us.
- We really appreciate your presence here.
- Thank you for the gift, we’re very grateful.
- I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful gift.
- We will remember this day and your contribution forever.
- You were invaluable today, thank you for all your help.
- What would we have done without your help? Thank you so much. (Rhetorical question)
- Thank you ever so much for your generous gift.
- Words cannot describe how grateful we are.
- It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day.
- Thank you for inviting me to share your special day.
- I’m very happy to be a part of your celebrations.
- “Thank you for coming today. It’s been such a wonderful day, and we really appreciate you sharing it with us.”
- “Thank you for the gift, and for joining us today. It’s been so special, and we’re really glad you were her.”
- “Thank you so much for everything you did to help make this day perfect. What would we have done without you?” (Rhetorical question)
- “Thank you for all the lovely gifts, and for being here with us. It means a lot.”
- “Words cannot describe how grateful we are for your generous gift. Thank you ever so much.”
- “It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day. Thank you for inviting me, and sharing your happiness.”
SAYING THANK YOU AT CHRISTMAS
Christmas is a very special time of the year for many families; it is a time when friends and families can get together and celebrate in good cheer. It is usually a time of union, togetherness, and goodwill.
If you don’t celebrate Christmas, you may have an alternative special celebration which brings you closer to your loved ones, such as Eid, Diwali, Thanksgiving Day, or Hanukkah.
These expressions can be used for any of these occasions! Just change the word ‘Christmas’ to your own special occasion.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for the wonderful Christmas present.
- Thank you for the Christmas wishes.
- Sending special thanks to you this Christmas. (Written message)
- I’d like to say a warm thank you to you this Christmas.
- Thank you for making me feel special this Christmas.
- Thank you so much for making my Christmas so special.
- Thanks for the Christmas gifts; I love them!
- It has been a very special Christmas thanks to you. Happy Holidays.
- Thank you Santa! The children loved your gifts.
- Thank you for inviting us to your beautiful home for Christmas.
- Thank you for the wonderful Christmas feast!
- Thank you for including us in your Christmas festivities.
- Thank you for hosting Christmas dinner; it was divine.
- Thank you for a memorable Christmas gathering.
- You are a very gracious host. Thank you for the warm invite.
- I really appreciate the gift card, thank you so much!
- Thank you for such a practical gift.
- Thank you for the beautiful Christmas card.
- We all appreciate the lovingly wrapped gifts. Thank you so much!
- Sending you wishes of joy and happiness in return.
- Thank you for spreading the Christmas cheer.
- What a magical Christmas experience! Thank you.
- “I’d like to say a very warm thank you to you this Christmas. Thank you for making us feel so special. Merry Christmas”
- “Thank you for inviting us to your beautiful home for Christmas! You are a very gracious host and we had a magical time. Warm Wishes.”
- “What a wonderful Christmas feast, thank you ever so much! We had a lovely time.”
- “Thank you for the beautiful Christmas presents. How thoughtful of you!”
- “Thank you for the Christmas parcel. Sending you wishes of joy and happiness in return.”
SAYING THANK YOU TO YOUR BOSS
Managers, supervisors, and other people in superior positions to you at work can be quite hard to speak to on a regular day, let alone when having to say ‘thank you’ for something!
Especially if they have given you something you really needed, such as extended holiday time, professional support or even a promotion!
Using the right words is very important, if you want them to really understand how grateful you are, and that you’re not just saying thanks because they’re your boss and you have to…..!
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for extending compassion and flexibility when I needed it.
- As a supervisor, you are truly inspirational to your staff.
- Your strong leadership skills along with your support has earned you much deserved respect.
- Your support and dedication to your team has earned you much deserved admiration.
- I am thankful to be a part of your team.
- The workers have seen your dedication, and we would like to express our appreciation.
- We are grateful for your kindness, loyalty and commitment to all of us.
- If there ever was a boss who deserves praise and adulation, that person is you!
- Thank you for providing us with such a great working environment.
- I want to thank you for the expression of faith in my abilities.
- I would like to sincerely thank you for this gesture.
- Allow me to express my sincerest gratitude for this opportunity you have given me.
- I value the trust you have put into me and will work hard to maintain it.
- Thank you very much for putting your trust in me and agreeing to my extended holiday request.
- I am eternally grateful for your trust, and appreciate you allowing me to have this time off work.
- Thank you for your support, guidance and encouragement.
- Thank you for the opportunities you provided, and for having faith in me.
- I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for giving me this opportunity.
- “I would like to sincerely thank you for such a fantastic opportunity. I appreciate your faith in my abilities and will certainly do my very best to meet your expectations.”
- “Allow me to express my sincerest gratitude for this opportunity you have given me. I am eternally grateful for the trust you have put in me and will work hard to maintain it.”
- “Thank you for extending compassion and flexibility when I needed it. As a supervisor, you are truly inspirational to your staff.”
SAYING THANK YOU IN FORMAL BUSINESS
In the business world, sometimes it is important to express thanks to people other than your boss too, such as colleagues, other firms, or even clients!
Showing that you appreciate them placing their business with you, providing support, or even partnership, is important. Here is how you can say it well. Most of these can be used for direct contact or email communication.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you very much; your support is greatly appreciated.
- We would like to express our gratitude.
- I am most grateful for your support.
- Thank you for providing the requested information.
- Thank you for all your assistance.
- Thank you for raising your concerns.
- Thank you for your kind co-operation.
- Thank you for your attention to this matter.
- Thank you for your consideration.
- Thank you once again for everything you’ve done.
- How kind you are to help me. Thank you very much.
- Thank you for spending time with me.
- Thank you for taking the trouble to help me. I do appreciate it.
- Many thanks for your assistance in our project.
- Many thanks for your letter/email.
- I was so pleased to hear from you.
- I greatly appreciate your kind words.
- I am very thankful that you are considering my problem.
- Thank you for your kind consideration.
- “I was so pleased to hear from you, and am very thankful that you’re considering my problem. Thank you for your attention to this matter.”
- “I would like to express my gratitude for all that you have done. I am most grateful for your support. Thank you for taking the time to help me, I really do appreciate it.”
- “I am very thankful that you are considering my application. I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from you again soon.”
- “Thank you for raising your concerns. I appreciate your co-operation and will respond to your query very soon.”
- That’s all right.
- You’re welcome.
- You’re very welcome.
- Don’t mention it.
- Not at all.
- It wasn’t a problem at all.
- It’s nothing.
- It’s my pleasure.
- The pleasure is all mine.
- My pleasure.
- “Thanks a lot for your help, you’re very kind.” – “Don’t mention it.”
- ‘Thanks a lot for looking after the children.” – “It’s my pleasure. I love children.”
- “Thank you so much. I couldn’t have managed without your help.” – “No problem.”
- “Thank you for such a wonderful gift.” – “You’re very welcome.”
How do YOU say thank you? Enter it in the comment box below.