What is the best way to say thank you? How to say thank you?
This is a very popular question that many of our students often ask. In fact, there are several ways to express your gratitude!
In this article, we will look at the various ways of saying ‘thanks’, and how they would differ in a number of situations. Whether you need to say it formally or informally. To a friend or to a colleague. For a gift or for someone’s help. There’s a whole variety of phrases you can use!
Everyone wants to be appreciated, so say it the right way, and show that you mean it by being sincere, rather than seeming as if you are just saying thank you out of obligation.
It’s not just about expressing verbal gratitude, but also about using the right body language and selecting the right words!
Have a look at the various options below, and pick the right one for the occasion…
Saying Thank You to your TEACHER
Saying Thank You at a WEDDING
Saying Thank You at CHRISTMAS
Saying Thank You to your BOSS
Saying Thank You in FORMAL BUSINESS
👉 SOME BASIC PHRASES
- Thank you
- Thanks a lot.
- Thank you very much.
- Thank you. That’s very kind of you.
- Thank you. You’re so helpful.
- Thanks for your kind words.
- Thank you for coming here today.
- “I love your dress; you look so beautiful!” – “Thank you very much.”
- “Would you like a sandwich?” – “Oh, thanks. I would love one.”
- “Can I help you with anything?” – “No, thank you. I’m fine at the moment.”
- 50+ Ways to Say Thank You in Spanish
- 15 Ways to Say You are Welcome in Spanish
👉 SAYING THANK YOU TO YOUR TEACHER
This can be done in many ways. As we know, teachers are generally helpful, considerate, encouraging, and forthcoming towards their students.
The way you say it would depend on what you are saying thank you for. Teachers are some of the most influential and inspiring people that we come across in our lives, yet they tend to be regrettably under-appreciated.
Just writing a simple ‘thank you’ note, or saying a few special words will go a long way, and be remembered for years to come. Even recommending your teacher to others is a great way to show that you really enjoyed studying with them!
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you I really appreciate your help.
- I am eternally grateful for everything you’ve taught me.
- Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me.
- I cannot thank you enough for helping me.
- I am very thankful that you are my teacher.
- How can I ever thank you enough.
- Teachers like you are not easy to find.
- I really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done to help me.
- I am grateful for the positive learning environment you provided me with.
- I have learnt so much, thanks to you.
- Thank you for your guidance and support.
- Thank you for helping me improve.
- I want you to know how much I value your support.
- Your lessons have been very insightful and fun!
- I have had so much fun learning with you!
- Your approach to teaching inspires me.
- Thank you for being patient and helping me improve.
- I wholeheartedly appreciate everything you’ve done for me.
- You’re the best teacher ever!
- “I just want to say how grateful I am that you were my teacher. Your guidance and support has been amazing! Thank you for helping me improve”
- “I really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done to help me. I have learnt so much, and it’s all thanks to you!”
- “You were there for me every step of the way, and I wholeheartedly appreciate everything you’ve done for me.”
- “Thank you for being so patient, and helping me improve! Teachers like you are hard to find, and I’m eternally grateful for everything you’ve taught me.”
- “I had so much fun learning with you. Your lessons were very insightful and interactive, so thank you. You’re the best teacher ever!”
👉 Thank you letter to teacher
We teachers often feel underappreciated. The bell rings to signal the end of the school year and the kids can’t get out of the classroom quick enough.
All the support you gave and work you put into making your classes as meaningful, dynamic and motivating as possible suddenly seems like it may have been a waste of time.
Then, one child re-enters the classroom and slips a piece of paper in your hand. A hand-written Thank you letter!
Think about what makes that special teacher so special and what they did for you specifically and finally what you would like to thank them for.
If you are a student or a parent who feels that their teacher deserves a thank you then here are some ideas that you could include in your letter.
- I may not have always shown it but I’m so grateful to have had an awesome teacher like you.
- I know I didn’t always show it in class and I wasn’t always easy to teach but I really do appreciate everything you have done for me this year.
- I’m so grateful you were my teacher (or my child’s teacher).
- Your positivity and encouragement brightened my days.
- You are always kind and understanding.
- You have been a mentor, a support and a guide to me.
What you did for me:
- You made me a better, more thoughtful person.
- Your kindness made me feel welcome and comfortable.
- You helped me see that I can be more.
- You’ve set a great example for me to follow
- You’ve inspired me to always strive to do my best.
- Thank you for your patience throughout this year. It meant the world to me.
- Thank you for all your hard work and the wisdom you shared.
- I’ll always remember attending your class. Thank you for being one of the few great teachers out there.
- You have given me the strength I need to take the next steps toward my dream of…
- You’ve inspired me to plan my future. You’ve given me reason to believe I can do anything I set my mind to.
- You gave me the confidence to dream big.
👉 SAYING THANK YOU AT A WEDDING
There are various reasons why people would want to express thanks to wedding guests. Maybe they bought an extravagant wedding present, gave a generous monetary gift, helped with the preparations, or simply turned up to join in the special celebrations!
It could even be that you were the wedding guest, and would like to thank them for the invite! Pick the right words and remember to make everyone feel like you really appreciate what they’ve done for you.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for coming.
- Thank you for joining us today.
- We appreciate you sharing our celebrations with us.
- Thank you for sharing this special day with us.
- We really appreciate your presence here.
- Thank you for the gift, we’re very grateful.
- I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful gift.
- We will remember this day and your contribution forever.
- You were invaluable today, thank you for all your help.
- What would we have done without your help? Thank you so much. (Rhetorical question)
- Thank you ever so much for your generous gift.
- Words cannot describe how grateful we are.
- It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day.
- Thank you for inviting me to share your special day.
- I’m very happy to be a part of your celebrations.
Thank You Wedding Cards 👉https://go.magik.ly/ml/o0ep/
- “Thank you for coming today. It’s been such a wonderful day, and we really appreciate you sharing it with us.”
- “Thank you for the gift, and for joining us today. It’s been so special, and we’re really glad you were her.”
- “Thank you so much for everything you did to help make this day perfect. What would we have done without you?” (Rhetorical question)
- “Thank you for all the lovely gifts, and for being here with us. It means a lot.”
- “Words cannot describe how grateful we are for your generous gift. Thank you ever so much.”
- “It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day. Thank you for inviting me, and sharing your happiness.”
👉 Saying Thank You for Your Service
This thank you expression is specifically for service men and women who fought during a war. It is a way to honour former military members and to let them know that their sacrifices will always be appreciated.
In business, however, we may feel the customer service we received was of such high quality that it deserves recognition.
Thank you for your service examples:
- I would like to compliment your company on the excellent service I received last week.
- I wanted you to know how much I appreciate the excellent service provided by your customer service department recently.
- I have always been pleased with the service I have received when dealing with your department. However, the professionalism I experienced yesterday exceeded my expectations.
- Such a commitment to great customer service is to be commended.
- Thanks to your company and the excellent service provided by your staff, I was able to negotiate a deal with ….
👉 SAYING THANK YOU AT CHRISTMAS
Christmas is a very special time of the year for many families; it is a time when friends and families can get together and celebrate in good cheer. It is usually a time of union, togetherness, and goodwill.
If you don’t celebrate Christmas, you may have an alternative special celebration which brings you closer to your loved ones, such as Eid, Diwali, Thanksgiving Day, or Hanukkah.
These expressions can be used for any of these occasions! Just change the word ‘Christmas’ to your own special occasion.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for the wonderful Christmas present.
- Thank you for the Christmas wishes.
- Sending special thanks to you this Christmas. (Written message)
- I’d like to say a warm thank you to you this Christmas.
- Thank you for making me feel special this Christmas.
- Thank you so much for making my Christmas so special.
- Thanks for the Christmas gifts; I love them!
- It has been a very special Christmas thanks to you. Happy Holidays.
- Thank you Santa! The children loved your gifts.
- Thank you for inviting us to your beautiful home for Christmas.
- Thank you for the wonderful Christmas feast!
- Thank you for including us in your Christmas festivities.
- Thank you for hosting Christmas dinner; it was divine.
- Thank you for a memorable Christmas gathering.
- You are a very gracious host. Thank you for the warm invite.
- I really appreciate the gift card, thank you so much!
- Thank you for such a practical gift.
- Thank you for the beautiful Christmas card.
- We all appreciate the lovingly wrapped gifts. Thank you so much!
- Sending you wishes of joy and happiness in return.
- Thank you for spreading the Christmas cheer.
- What a magical Christmas experience! Thank you.
- “I’d like to say a very warm thank you to you this Christmas. Thank you for making us feel so special. Merry Christmas”
- “Thank you for inviting us to your beautiful home for Christmas! You are a very gracious host and we had a magical time. Warm Wishes.”
- “What a wonderful Christmas feast, thank you ever so much! We had a lovely time.”
- “Thank you for the beautiful Christmas presents. How thoughtful of you!”
- “Thank you for the Christmas parcel. Sending you wishes of joy and happiness in return.”
👉 SAYING THANK YOU TO YOUR BOSS
Managers, supervisors, and other people in superior positions to you at work can be quite hard to speak to on a regular day, let alone when having to say ‘thank you’ for something!
Especially if they have given you something you really needed, such as extended holiday time, professional support or even a promotion!
Using the right words is very important, if you want them to really understand how grateful you are, and that you’re not just saying thanks because they’re your boss and you have to…..!
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for extending compassion and flexibility when I needed it.
- As a supervisor, you are truly inspirational to your staff.
- Your strong leadership skills along with your support has earned you much deserved respect.
- Your support and dedication to your team has earned you much deserved admiration.
- I am thankful to be a part of your team.
- The workers have seen your dedication, and we would like to express our appreciation.
- We are grateful for your kindness, loyalty and commitment to all of us.
- If there ever was a boss who deserves praise and adulation, that person is you!
- Thank you for providing us with such a great working environment.
- I want to thank you for the expression of faith in my abilities.
- I would like to sincerely thank you for this gesture.
- Allow me to express my sincerest gratitude for this opportunity you have given me.
- I value the trust you have put into me and will work hard to maintain it.
- Thank you very much for putting your trust in me and agreeing to my extended holiday request.
- I am eternally grateful for your trust, and appreciate you allowing me to have this time off work.
- Thank you for your support, guidance and encouragement.
- Thank you for the opportunities you provided, and for having faith in me.
- I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for giving me this opportunity.
- “I would like to sincerely thank you for such a fantastic opportunity. I appreciate your faith in my abilities and will certainly do my very best to meet your expectations.”
- “Allow me to express my sincerest gratitude for this opportunity you have given me. I am eternally grateful for the trust you have put in me and will work hard to maintain it.”
- “Thank you for extending compassion and flexibility when I needed it. As a supervisor, you are truly inspirational to your staff.”
👉 SAYING THANK YOU IN FORMAL BUSINESS
In the business world, sometimes it is important to express thanks to people other than your boss too, such as colleagues, other firms, or even clients!
Showing that you appreciate them placing their business with you, providing support, or even partnership, is important. Here is how you can say it well. Most of these can be used for direct contact or email communication.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you very much; your support is greatly appreciated.
- We would like to express our gratitude.
- I am most grateful for your support.
- Thank you for providing the requested information.
- Thank you for all your assistance.
- Thank you for raising your concerns.
- Thank you for your kind co-operation.
- Thank you for your attention to this matter.
- Thank you for your consideration.
- Thank you once again for everything you’ve done.
- How kind you are to help me. Thank you very much.
- Thank you for spending time with me.
- Thank you for taking the trouble to help me. I do appreciate it.
- Many thanks for your assistance in our project.
- Many thanks for your letter/email.
- I was so pleased to hear from you.
- I greatly appreciate your kind words.
- I am very thankful that you are considering my problem.
- Thank you for your kind consideration.
- “I was so pleased to hear from you, and am very thankful that you’re considering my problem. Thank you for your attention to this matter.”
- “I would like to express my gratitude for all that you have done. I am most grateful for your support. Thank you for taking the time to help me, I really do appreciate it.”
- “I am very thankful that you are considering my application. I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from you again soon.”
- “Thank you for raising your concerns. I appreciate your co-operation and will respond to your query very soon.”
👉 Thank you for your support
We have all been in that position at least once in our lives when we have needed support. We all hope that when that time comes there will be someone we can lean on.
That someone could be a friend, a partner, a colleague or a family member. Sometimes, when life is back on track, we forget just how much that individual’s support meant to us and even worse we forget to say thank you.
It may seem a little formal to write down our thanks in a letter but every now and again it is the only way we can truly express how appreciative we are. Here are some suggestions for writing that all important thank you letter or for expressing your thanks orally.
- When I really needed you, you were there for me. Thank you so much for everything.
- Words cannot express how grateful I am for everything you have done for me.
- You don’t realise how much your help and support has meant to me. Thank you.
- Please accept this letter as a small token of my appreciation for the support you have given me.
- I will always remember your kindness and support.
- I just wanted to express how much I appreciate your support. Thank you for being there for me.
- You have no idea how much your support has meant to me at this very difficult time.
- You cannot imagine how much strength your support has given me at this very difficult time.
👉 Saying Thank You for Your Patience
When we thank someone for their patience what are we actually thanking them for? The Cambridge English Dictionary defines patience as:
The ability to accept delay, suffering, or annoyance without complaining or becoming angry.
In this modern world, where customer service forms a core part of any business, the phrase thank you for your patience is used in abundance.
It is a common, polite expression which is used to acknowledge that the other person, usually the client or customer, has been waiting for longer than expected.
This expression is often used in formal situations to diffuse a potentially difficult situation and help maintain a positive relationship.
Thank you for your patience examples:
A.Customer: I have been placed on hold for the last 20 minutes!
B.Customer service: I do apologise. Thank you for your patience.
- I understand your delivery is overdue and I would personally like to thank you for your patience in this matter. Your delivery has now been dispatched.
- We understand your frustration in this matter and we would like to assure you that we are working on finding a solution to the problem. In the meantime we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding.
- I know I haven’t always been easy to deal with. There have been times when I’m sure others would have walked away but you have always been there for me. Thank you for your patience.
Thank you for your patience Synonyms:
In the previous example, the synonym Thank you for putting up with me could be used instead as it is extremely informal and very colloquial.
Of course, it would depend on who the speakers are. They would need to have a very personal relationship.
For example, mother and daughter;
- Mum, I’m sorry I’ve been such a pain recently. I have been so stressed with my exams and I haven’t been getting much sleep. Thanks for not making my life any more difficult and thanks for putting up with me!
There are really no other synonyms that convey the same message.
👉 ACCEPTING THANKS
- That’s all right.
- You’re welcome.
- You’re very welcome.
- Don’t mention it.
- Not at all.
- It wasn’t a problem at all.
- It’s nothing.
- It’s my pleasure.
- The pleasure is all mine.
- My pleasure.
- “Thanks a lot for your help, you’re very kind.” – “Don’t mention it.”
- ‘Thanks a lot for looking after the children.” – “It’s my pleasure. I love children.”
- “Thank you so much. I couldn’t have managed without your help.” – “No problem.”
- “Thank you for such a wonderful gift.” – “You’re very welcome.”
👉 Thank You Letter For Scholarship
To (Name of Sponsor)
It was with great surprise and much joy that I received your generous sponsorship to a full scholarship at the Harvard University.
This sponsored scholarship is a once in a lifetime opportunity which will completely change my life. I intend to use this opportunity to the full and become the best that I can be. By doing my best, I hope to reflect well upon those who have given me this unique opportunity.
Once I have successfully passed all the tests and completed the training I look forward to inviting you to my graduation to express my appreciation for all that you have done.
With great appreciation
👉 Thank You Letter For Donation
Dear (Name of Sponsor)
We were moved to write and thank you for your generous support for the (name) charity.
Thanks to your sponsorship over the last six months, we have been able to collect hundreds of blankets, toothbrushes and other necessary items for the homeless people our charity helps.
If the support we have received recently continues, very soon, we hope to be able to provide some homeless individuals with a bed in a secure place to stay at night, off the streets. It is crucial with a cold winter expected just around the corner.
Your ongoing sponsorship of our charity is very much appreciated and is most important to us and those whom it benefits. Please find enclosed a greeting, thank you card and photo from some of the people your sponsorship has helped.
We sincerely thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
👉 Thank You Letter to a Sponsor
When writing a letter remember:
- to write your name, your address and the date the letter was written on the right hand side of the page.
- to write the name and address of the recipient of the letter underneath your contact details but on the left hand side of the page.
Below is a sample thank you letter to a sponsor, you can add more information to this letter if you wish.
Dear Mr/Mrs (name of the sponsor),
On behalf of (name of your company or organisation) I would like to thank you for kindly sponsoring our organisation.
We truly appreciate your continuous support and your very generous donation, your contribution will dramatically help us develop and succeed in future endeavours.
Without your involvement and generosity, we would not be able to aim high and reach our potential. Thank you again for your generous and continuous support.
This is a very generic thank you letter as I don’t know the type of organisation you are working for or what the sponsor has done for your organisation.
I think you should make this letter more personal by thanking them and highlighting how important their contribution is to the organisation.
- If you are a coach of a football team and you need sponsors to help send your players to a football camp, you could write; thank you for your generous donation because of your support we can now send the players to the football camp. This is really going to benefit them as players but also as individuals.
- If you are a charity organization and are raising money to provide shelter for the homeless, you could write; we appreciate your contribution to our organization. With your help we were able to provide shelter for 200 homeless people.
By adding in these personal aspects to the thank you letter, your sponsor will feel appreciated and will also feel content that their sponsorship and contribution to your organisation will not be in vain.
👉 Thank you Letter for Job Offer
As a child, my parents placed great importance on thank you letters. I had to write one to my grandparents after every Birthday and Christmas present that I received.
I always saw it as a tiresome chore but now, as an adult, I understand the importance of thanking someone for their generosity and what greater gift is there, than a new job?
So, you may wish to thank your employer for this new opportunity and start your relationship off on the right foot. A thank you letter doesn’t need to be too long.
Simply express your gratitude and demonstrate how thankful you are for the new job opportunity. You might want to briefly explain why you’re particularly excited to work for the company and it is also important to include any information that could avoid confusion and might be helpful moving forward.
So, simply put, you need to address three key areas:
- Saying thank you
- Expressing enthusiasm
- Confirming details
Here are some ideas for you to create the right tone in your thank you letter.
- Saying thank you for job offer
- It is with great honour and appreciation that I thank you for the offer of a position in your company.
- I would like to formally thank you for offering me the opportunity to join your company.
- Thank you very much for this incredible opportunity.
2. Expressing enthusiasm
- I am delighted to inform you that I accept the offer with great enthusiasm.
- I am very excited to begin working, learning more about the company and finding ways to contribute my skills to the team.
- I am extremely passionate about the company’s mission/vision.
3. Confirming details
- As per our discussion, I would like to confirm my starting salary of $ …………, and my annual entitlement of 21 days paid holiday.
- I look forward to starting employment with your company on August 1st at 9am.
- I will be sure to send you all the documents you requested by the end of the week.
I will leave you with this final piece of advice.
In your thank you letter, do not apologise or mention any negative aspects of what happened in the interview. For example, if you would like to apologize for calling someone by the wrong name, don’t!
Or if you want to express your pleasure and surprise that you got the job without the skill set or experience the interviewer mentioned you needed, don’t! Check your letter for mistakes!
After all your hard work to strike the right chord with your new employer and create that fantastic first impression, don’t blow it with spelling mistakes or typos. Check and double check your letter.
👉 Saying Thank You in Different Languages
Thank you in Spanish: Gracias
Thank you very much in Spanish: Muchas gracias!
Thank you in Italian: Grazie
Thank you very much in Italian: Grazie mille!
Thank you in Japanese: Arigato (ah-ree-gah’-toh) or written ありがとう
Thank you very much in Japanese: Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita or written どうもありがとうございました
Thank you in French: Merci
Thank you very much in French: Merci Beaucoup
Thank you in German: Danke
Thank you very much in German: Vielen Dank! Danke Schön!
Thank you in Chinese: Xièxiè 谢谢
Thank you very much in Chinese: Fēicháng gǎnxiè nǐ 非常感谢你
Thank you in Mandarin: Xièxiè 谢谢
Thank you very much in Mandarin: Fēicháng gǎnxiè nǐ 非常感谢你
Thank you in Korean: Gomabseubnida 고맙습니다
Thank you very much in Korean: Daedanhi gamsahabnida 대단히 감사합니다.
Thank you in Russian: Spasibo Спасибо
Thank you very much in Russian: Bol’shoye Spasibo большое спасибо
Thank you in Portuguese: Obrigado
Thank you very much in Portuguese: Muito Obrigado
Thank you in Arabic: Shukraan Lakum
Thank you very much in Arabic: Shukraan Jazilaan
Thank you in Thai: K̄hxbkhuṇ ขอบคุณ
Thank you very much in Thai: K̄hxbkhuṇ māk ขอบคุณมาก
Thank you in Greek: Efcharistó Ευχαριστώ
Thank you very much in Greek: Efcharistó polý Ευχαριστώ πολύ
Thank you in Vietnamese: Cảm ơn bạn
Thank you very much in Vietnamese: Cảm ơn nhiều
Thank you Emoji: 🙏
Thank you in Dutch: Dank je
Thank you very much in Dutch: Dank u zeer!
Thank you in Hindi: dhanyavaad धन्यवाद
Thank you very much in Hindi: aapaka bahut bahut dhanyavaad आपका बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद
Thank you in Hungarian: Köszönöm (KØ-sø-nøm)
Thank you very much in Hungarian: Köszönöm szépen!
Thank you in Ukrainian: Dyakuyu Дякую
Thank you very much in Ukrainian: Velyke Spasybi! Велике спасибі
How do YOU say thank you? Enter it in the comment box below.