TBH full form = To Be Honest
What does TBH mean? TBH (full form) is a texting abbreviation or acronym used in casual speech and stands for the phrase to be honest.
Use this phrase before or after a statement to emphasize that you are stating an honest opinion. Variations on this phrase include “To be perfectly honest (with you),” “In all honesty,” and “In my opinion.”
To be honest, can also be used when you want to describe a change in opinion. When you’re discussing something and want a good way to describe the change you can say:
- “To be honest, I didn’t really like him from the start. I just didn’t want to hurt your feelings.”
TBH can be used in this manner, or as a confession to a prior lie.
To be honest (TBH) has become such a common phrase in English that it deserves its own abbreviation!
- To be honest, I don’t really feel like going out tonight → Tbh I don’t really feel like going out tonight.
- I never got along with him, to be honest. → I never got along with him, tbh.
- To be honest, I don’t think this relationship is working out. → tbh I don’t think this relationship is working out.
Usually, this abbreviation is texted over the phone or some other messaging platform (like on Facebook or Instagram). Young people who tend to text often or are trying to be funny use TBH in spoken speech as well.
Spell: When spoken, it is pronounced T-B-H (ti-bi-aitch).
Synonyms For TO BE HONEST
- In all fairness
- In all honesty
- With all due respect
- If I’m perfectly honest
- If I can speak my mind
- Allow me to speak my mind
- Let me set the record straight
- If I shoot from the hip
- I’m just going to come right out and say it
- I’m going to lay it on the line
- If truth be told
- In fact
- As a matter of fact
- To tell the truth
- To be frank
- In actual fact
- I’m only telling you this because I care about you
- Let’s be fair
Synonyms for To Be Honest Examples
- In all fairness, you did shout at her first.
- With all due respect madam, I don’t think this is a good business plan.
- Allow me to speak my mind. I believe there is a better way to handle this project.
- Let me set the record straight, she kissed me first!
- Our boss doesn’t care what anyone else thinks, he always shoots from the hip.
- Just lay it on the line and tell me if I passed or failed please.
- If truth be told, he didn’t deserve that promotion anyway.
- Frankly, I don’t care!
- I’m only telling you this because I care about you, but I don’t think she’s interested in you!
- Let’s be fair, she’s lucky that her boss has a lot of patience!
Modern abbreviations such as TBH, or LOL, FYI, and others, have become so common that they are often used in spoken English.
This “abbreviation culture” has transitioned into daily speech thanks to the popularity and convenience of such phrases. Today’s culture is one of speed and quickness, where people don’t have time to discuss things for longer periods. Abbreviations such as TBH make sure you get the point across quickly.
Also, note that there is no standard capitalization or punctuation for TBH and similar phrases. Since texted speech itself is not very standardized.
Young people tend to write it out lowercase (either tbh or Tbh), with or without a comma following it. Those who are less tech-savvy might spell it out in all caps (TBH).
A: what are you up to right now?
B: not much. I’m pretty bored TBH
A: wanna go to the bowling party tonight?
B: TBH, not really…
A: LOL why? seems like you don’t have anything better to do.
A: I feel like so many people can’t wait for the school year to be over.
B: Oh, yeah. TBH, I’m one of them.
A: What plans do you have for this summer?
More for you:
››› Different Ways to Say “To Be Honest”
››› 27 Meanings of Most Common Text Abbreviations [Image]