an essay where you show the benefits of solidarity and charity.
Essays that are written in order to convince others about a particular idea are called persuasive essays.
Persuasive essays are the most common type of essays. They are usually structured as follows:
- Introduction (introduce the issue and state your opinion in three simple points)
– Paragraph (elaborate the first point you made in the introduction, give details)
– Transitional phrase + new paragraph (elaborate the second point you made in the introduction, give details)
– Transitional phrase + new paragraph (elaborate the third point you made in the introduction, give details)
- Conclusion/ Summary (summarize your opinion)
Let’s see it in practice!
To be convincing, you need to grab your audience’s attention, so start with a strong statement or question. For example:
- Have you ever felt guilty because you could have helped someone in need, but you did not? Would you go back in time if you could and fix things?
- Some people would rather die than ask for help. Often, they are the ones who need us the most.
Then make the three statements:
- The best thing about helping others is that it makes us feel good about ourselves.
- Also, if you help someone, you might receive help in return when you need it.
- However, there are not only selfish motives behind being helpful. I believe that empathy and caring for others is what makes us human.
- When lending someone a helping hand, not only do you make someone else’s day, or possibly his life, better. You, yourself, will also reap the benefits. You will not have the burden of guilty conscience, and you can enjoy a good night’s sleep knowing that you have done everything you could to make things better for that person.
(This paragraph is referencing the first introductory statement.)
- In addition (transitional phrase), people will be more likely to help you if they got to know you as someone they can count on when in need. Someone you have already helped out will surely be glad to be able to return the favour.
(This paragraph is referencing the second introductory statement.)
- Finally (transitional phrase), in my opinion, compassion is an essential part of being human. There is a sense of fellowship towards other human beings we must all feel, and this fellowship is what should make it impossible for us to ignore the sufferings of others.
(This paragraph is referencing the third introductory statement.)
- In conclusion, when you help others, it is always a win-win situation. They receive the help they need, while you get the satisfaction of having fulfilled your moral duty.
Recommended for you: Essential Academic Writing Examples and Phrases!