The form ‘has had’ is Present Perfect in the third person singular.
- She has had a car since 2001.
- Tom has had a beard for years.
- Claire has always had a good sense of humour.
To form Present Perfect, use HAVE / HAS + Past Participle.
Present Perfect Tense Exercise | English Grammar Exercise
Past Participle is the ‘third form’ of a verb:
- buy- bought- bought
- go- went- gone
- have- had- had
- know- knew- known
- meet -met – met
As you can see, HAD is the third form of the verb ‘have’.
- I have a dog. (Present Simple)
- I have had a dog for five years. (Present Perfect first person singular)
- She has had a dog for five years. (Present Perfect third person singular)
For more information on Present Perfect and the verb ‘have’, check out these posts: