We (English language learners) would like to speak English fluently. We learn English idioms and phrases, because they help us to become fluent in English faster.
Today you can start using these 8 idioms about happiness when you are happy and want to share it with others. You will also find the examples with explanations of these idioms under the infographic.
5 Synonyms for Happy - MyEnglishTeacher.eu
1. Having a whale of a time
have a very good time, have an exciting or fun time
- How was your birthday party?
- Oh great, there were a lot of friends, we were playing games and dancing, we really had a whale of a time.
2. On cloud nine
very happy, cheerful
- I was very afraid of the history exam, and when I managed to pass it, I was on cloud nine, I invited all my friends to a drink in the local pub.
3. Tickled pink
very much pleased or entertained
- I suggest picking some flowers for your girlfriend. I’m sure she’ll be tickled pink and she won’t refuse your proposal.
4. On top of the world
feeling wonderful, glorious, ecstatic
- Since he was promoted to the position he had desired for ages, he feels glorious, he’s sitting on top of the world.
5. Happy as a clam
very happy and comfortable
- When her parents left for holiday, she was happy as a clam staying alone in the house.
excited for something that’s going to happen
- I’m buzzing for the holidays. Imagine, we’re going on a diving trip in Greece.
7. Over the moon
extremely pleased and happy
- Do you remember how happy we were when we first stayed out for a night? We were over the moon.
8. In seventh heaven
in a very happy state
- Real happiness is when you work for it. I’m sure you’ll be in seventh heaven when you get your first salary and buy a scooter.
Do you know other idioms? Share them with us!