What’s a dice? It’s a small cube made of wood or plastic that has numbers (1 to 6) written on it on each side, commonly used in games of chance. The plural form of this word is also ‘dice’. In US English, it’s called a ‘die’.
play a game with dice
- I’ve never played dice. Do you know any good games?
SHAKE THE DICE
move the dice with short quick movements (when playing a game or when needing help with making a decision)
- The jacuzzi is for one person only. Let’s shake the dice to decide who goes first!
ROLL THE DICE
let the dice fall on the table/ take a risk
- It’s your turn! Roll the dice, will you? I’d like to finish this game before midnight.
- Do you think it’s good idea to invest all my savings in this startup? You know what? I’ll roll the dice.
- It was pretty dicey to drive home on no sleep.
cannot be done
- Can I borrow your Bentley this weekend? There’s this girl I’d like to impress.
- Sorry, no dice. I’ll be using it.
DICE WITH DEATH
risk your life
- Don’t dice with death standing on the edge of that cliff. I’ll kill you if you die!
THE DICE ARE LOADED AGAINST SOMEONE
when the dice are loaded against someone, that person is not likely to succeed
- The dice are loaded against foreign workers in a job market on the decline.