Could you please explain the ways to me where WITHIN is used..when can I use it?
thanks a lot
WITHIN is a presposition we use to refer to time or distance meaning ‘not later than’ or ‘not further than’.
- Please reply within two weeks. (before this time has passed/ not later)
- The police arrived within minutes. (before a few minutes have passed/ not later)
- Is there a school within a mile of the house? (not further than a mile from the house)
- Yes, there is one within walking distance. (not further than)
WITHIN may also mean INSIDE (formal/poetic use):
- Peace comes from within. (from inside your soul)
- The noise seems to be coming from within the coffin. (from inside the coffin)