We have all forgotten to do something. Often it can be too late once you remember, which means you are probably going to have to apologize for overlooking the matter.
That is what ‘overlooking’ essentially means, to forget or pass over something that needed your attention.
Usually, it is not a problem if it is a small thing, but if you have overlooked something at work, this can have much greater repercussions. If this has happened to you, then it is possible you are going to have to apologize to someone, maybe your partner or your boss!
Here are ten different ways you can do it. Adapt these sentences to your needs just by replacing the words matter/issue or including more details.
Apologize for Overlooking:
- I sincerely apologize for having overlooked the issue, it was a mistake, and I will make sure it doesn’t happen again.
- Unfortunately, I overlooked the issue, I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused.
- Oh no, I completely forgot about it! I am so sorry.
- Please forgive me; it was an oversight on my part.
- I would like to apologize for having overlooked the matter.
- Please accept my sincere apologies for failing to take care of the issue. Is there any way I can fix it up?
- I owe you an apology for not looking after this matter.
- I am so sorry that I overlooked our meeting the other day, could we reschedule?
- I feel terrible and must apologize for any inconvenience caused by my forgetting the issue.
- I take full responsibility for having forgotten to take care of that. Is there anything I can do to make it right?
The next time you overlook something, remember to be honest about your mistake. Be sincere about your apology and explain how you will correct the problem you possibly caused. Doing this is the most effective way to apologize and be forgiven by the person to whom you are apologizing.
Do you know another way to apologize for overlooking something? Please share it with our readers and us in a comment below.