Has many meanings. The first meaning is an intense or extreme amount, one which is much above normal.
- There is a great amount of work that needs to be done.
- Will it take a great amount of work?
This definition of great has many synonyms, here are some of the most commonly used ones.
Means large in size or amount. Something that is considerable is big.
- I have considerably more work to do now, than I did in the past.
- The family has a considerable amount of money.
Means that something has of a lot of importance, size, or worth.
- This is a substantial problem, and we need to fix it right away.
- That was a substantial amount of food.
Means that something is very important or worthy of attention.
- This is a significant moment in our nation’s history.
- I think the amount of work that needs to be done is significant.
Refers to something being important enough or large enough to be noticed. This word is almost always used to represent something in a positive way. Even if someone says that something is not appreciable, it means that something is not positive.
- There is an appreciable amount of caring in the school.
- I am appreciable of everything that you have done for me.
Refers to something that is great, better or different than other things. This is a word that is almost always used in a positive way.
- Mothers have a very special bond with their children.
- We will have a special ceremony next week.
Refers to something that needs important attention or needs to be considered carefully.
- This is a situation of serious importance.
- We take all of this very seriously.
Refers to something that is unusual or not typical. This is usually used in a positive way. If it is not used in a positive way, then it is used to mean that something is large or of large importance.
- Your work is exceptional.
- This building is an exceptional milestone for our city.
Means that something is unusual or remarkable or incredible. This is a word that is usually used in a positive way, but it can also be used to say that something was shockingly bad.
- The artist’s work is extraordinary.
- The party was an extraordinary disaster.
Can also mean that the quality of something is better than normal. This usage of the word great is always positive.
- You did a great job on your presentation.
- It feels great to be home again.
This definition of great also has many synonyms.
Refers to something being important or famous.
- He holds a prominent position in the community.
- This is a prominent restaurant.
Means that someone is important, famous, and respected in their profession (job).
- She is an eminent professor in science.
- This is one of the eminent companies in technology.
Refers to something that has significant value or can be very helpful for success.
- Today, I am taking a very important exam.
- This is one of the most important moments of my life.
Refers to something being different. As a synonym for great, it would be different because it’s better.
- He is a distinguished professor.
- The clothing line is distinguished and has won many awards.
Refers to someone who is respected and admired because of past accomplishments. This is usually used to describe a long and successful career.
- It will be hard to follow such an illustrious predecessor.
- One day I hope to have an illustrious career.
Refers to acknowledging a moment or event as successful or important. It can be an event to celebrate something or it can be an acknowledgement that something or someone is one of the best at something.
- She is a celebrated author.
- I don’t like all the attention, but it was nice to be celebrated by my peers.
Means that something or someone is publically praised as being successful or better than average.
- The invention received worldwide acclaim.
- No one expected the book to receive such acclaim.
Can also refer to something that is the most important.
- This is of great concern.
- Let’s deal with the greatest problem first.
Here are some synonyms for this definition of great.
Means that something or someone has great strength or influence.
- If we are going to get people to change, we will have to convince the most powerful people first.
- This is the most powerful kind of rope.
Refers to something that is the most important, powerful or influential.
- They are by far the most dominant company in the market.
- Everyone should get a chance to talk. I don’t want one person to dominate the conversation.
Means that someone or something has a large affect on others.
- She was a very influential person.
- I hope that one day I can be that influential.