The most common phrasal verbs with GET
get out of (doing something)
to avoid something you don’t want to do
- Somehow he managed to get out of doing this project.
- I’m getting out of this conversation. I don’t agree with you, but I don’t want to fight with you.
get rid of (something)
to throw away something
- You need to get rid of all your old clothes.
- I got rid of my old coat, I bought a new one.
to communicate, to make someone understand
- You didn’t really get your meaning across. Everyone looked puzzled.
get along with (someone)
to have a good relationship
- New girl from the office gets along with everyone pretty well.
- I got along with her since the first time we met.
to avoid a difficult situation
- He always manages to get around, and not tell his parents the truth.
get off lightly
to experience less trouble than expected
- I was surprised that he got off lightly, after he told the boss his was leaving.
- This exam wasn’t as difficult as I expected. I got off lightly.
get over (something/someone)
to recover from
- It took her a while to get over him, after the break up.
- My boyfriend broke up with me last week, but I got over it.
get away from
to go away from something, to escape
- She couldn’t get away from that dog for 3 hours.
- They had a fire in their home but luckily everybody got away from it.
get away with
to do something, and not get punished
- She always got away with her bad grades.
get at (someone)
to criticize someone repeatedly
- He was getting at me all day for doing one thing wrong.
get through to
to successfully explain something
- I finally got through to her, and she understood what I mean.
get wound up (about something)
to get angry about something
- He got wound up easily about her bad grades.
- She is a very calm person, but sometimes she also gets wound up.
to cause someone to feel sad/depressed
- All these problems at work are getting me down.
get down to
to deal with something
- I want to get down to business now.
Recommended for you:
List Of Phrasal Verbs With PUT!
List Of Phrasal Verbs With COME!
Common Phrasal Verbs with ON!
Phrasal Verbs with Look
List Of Phrasal Verbs with GET!
19 Phrasal Verbs with OUT
Phrasal Verbs with BE!