The most common use of suffix -er is: a person or object that does a specified action.
For example: reader, creator, interpreter, inventor, collaborator, teacher
A suffix is one or a set of letters that you add to the end of a word that changes its meaning. In the case suffix –er, which has several meanings.
1. Added to the end of a verb to show a person’s occupation or job.
For example: Painter, runner, dancer, driver, teacher, manager, videographer, etc. (These all show occupations)
2. Added to the end of a place (which can either be a proper noun name or a generic place) to show where someone is from or where they live.
Suffix -er example: Villager, a southerner, New Yorker, Icelander, etc. (These all show where someone comes from)
3. Added to the end of an adjective to describe something about that person.
Suffix -er examples: Six footer, fiver, kung fu master, tenner, etc. (These all tell something about the person)
-er and -ee suffixes
The suffixes -er and -ee are used for noun phrases, and are especially useful for describing people and their positions. The suffixes -er and -ee are usually two synonymous terms, showing that these words are connected and describe two different types of jobs.
A person or thing that works or provides an action is known by the suffix -er. The suffix -ee specifies the person or thing who or which is the recipient of the action.
Example of suffixes -er and -ee:
- employer: is a person or a company who gives you a job
- employee: does the job and hired by employer
- trainer – a person who gives you training lessons
- trainee – a person who trains
Which words are not using suffix -er?
master is not a word with an -er suffix; it comes from the Latin magister.
six footer, fiver, tenner are not (generally) used to refer to people. In this case, -er is a suffix added to words formed from a number or measurement to denote that the word is based on that number.
For example, the fairly common (in American English) grader (grade + er) meaning “student in a particular grade”, such as “first-grader“.
- 👉 A BIG List of Prefixes and Suffixes and Their Meanings
- Suffix Less Meaning and Examples
- Which of these 2 words has the Suffix: Runner or Untied?
- What are the prefixes and the suffixes for Memorable?
- What is a noun suffix?
- ‘-a suffix words
- What is a suffix or prefix for the word DO?
- What is the suffix or prefix of pseudo?
- WHICH SUFFIX OR PREFIX IS USED FOR THE WORD COOKED?
- Is ONE a prefix or suffix?
- SUFFIX OF WORD “PLACE”
- What is the Suffix of Cost?
- When do we use the suffixes -er and -or?
Suffix er meaning and examples in Hindi
प्रत्यय-एर का सबसे आम उपयोग है: एक व्यक्ति या वस्तु जो एक निर्दिष्ट क्रिया करता है।
उदाहरण के लिए: पाठक, निर्माता, दुभाषिया, आविष्कारक, सहयोगी, शिक्षक
Suffix er meaning and examples in Spanish
El uso más común del sufijo -er es: una persona u objeto que realiza una acción específica.
Por ejemplo: lector, creador, intérprete, inventor, colaborador, docente
Suffix er meaning and examples in Italian
L’uso più comune del suffisso -er è: una persona o un oggetto che esegue un’azione specificata.
Ad esempio: lettore, creatore, interprete, inventore, collaboratore, insegnante
Browse by category
A Adjectives B Business English C D dictionary E English grammar English Idioms English language English Learning Tips English phrases English teacher English Vocabulary English Vocabulary English words F G H how to learn english I idioms Infographic J K L Learn English M N new words noun O P phrasal verb R S T teach English Teaching English as a foreign language Text Abbreviations tips U W Y
- Advanced English Lesson
- Beginner English
- Business English
- Difference Between
- English Grammar
- English Idioms
- English Learning Tips
- English Questions and Answers
- English Speaking
- English Test
- English Videos
- English Vocabulary
- English Vocabulary Dictionary
- English Writing
- For Kids
- For Teachers
- Intermediate English
- Learn English
- Listening Skills
- Phrasal Verbs
- Teach English
- Useful English learning websites
Hi Blake, “SFG” can stand for many different things depending on the context. San Francisco Giants (a Major League Baseball…
Simple and informative article. Thank you for your ideas.
very helpful and useful website ever