The most common use of suffix -er is: a person or object that does a specified action.
For example: reader, creator, interpreter, inventor, collaborator, teacher
A suffix is one or a set of letters that you add to the end of a word that changes its meaning. In the case suffix –er, which has several meanings.
1. Added to the end of a verb to show a person’s occupation or job.
For example: Painter, runner, dancer, driver, teacher, manager, videographer, etc. (These all show occupations)
2. Added to the end of a place (which can either be a proper noun name or a generic place) to show where someone is from or where they live.
Suffix -er example: Villager, a southerner, New Yorker, Icelander, etc. (These all show where someone comes from)
3. Added to the end of an adjective to describe something about that person.
Suffix -er examples: Six footer, fiver, kung fu master, tenner, etc. (These all tell something about the person)
-er and -ee suffixes
The suffixes -er and -ee are used for noun phrases, and are especially useful for describing people and their positions. The suffixes -er and -ee are usually two synonymous terms, showing that these words are connected and describe two different types of jobs.
A person or thing that works or provides an action is known by the suffix -er. The suffix -ee specifies the person or thing who or which is the recipient of the action.
Example of suffixes -er and -ee:
- employer: is a person or a company who gives you a job
- employee: does the job and hired by employer
- trainer – a person who gives you training lessons
- trainee – a person who trains
Which words are not using suffix -er?
master is not a word with an -er suffix; it comes from the Latin magister.
six footer, fiver, tenner are not (generally) used to refer to people. In this case, -er is a suffix added to words formed from a number or measurement to denote that the word is based on that number.
For example, the fairly common (in American English) grader (grade + er) meaning “student in a particular grade”, such as “first-grader“.
- 👉 A BIG List of Prefixes and Suffixes and Their Meanings
- Suffix Less Meaning and Examples
- Which of these 2 words has the Suffix: Runner or Untied?
- What are the prefixes and the suffixes for Memorable?
- What is a noun suffix?
- ‘-a suffix words
- What is a suffix or prefix for the word DO?
- What is the suffix or prefix of pseudo?
- WHICH SUFFIX OR PREFIX IS USED FOR THE WORD COOKED?
- Is ONE a prefix or suffix?
- SUFFIX OF WORD “PLACE”
- What is the Suffix of Cost?
- When do we use the suffixes -er and -or?
Suffix er meaning and examples in Hindi
प्रत्यय-एर का सबसे आम उपयोग है: एक व्यक्ति या वस्तु जो एक निर्दिष्ट क्रिया करता है।
उदाहरण के लिए: पाठक, निर्माता, दुभाषिया, आविष्कारक, सहयोगी, शिक्षक
Suffix er meaning and examples in Spanish
El uso más común del sufijo -er es: una persona u objeto que realiza una acción específica.
Por ejemplo: lector, creador, intérprete, inventor, colaborador, docente
Suffix er meaning and examples in Italian
L’uso più comune del suffisso -er è: una persona o un oggetto che esegue un’azione specificata.
Ad esempio: lettore, creatore, interprete, inventore, collaboratore, insegnante
Browse by category
A Adjectives B Business English C D dictionary E English grammar English Idioms English language English Learning Tips English phrases English teacher English Vocabulary English Vocabulary English words F G H I idioms Infographic L Learn English M N new words noun O P phrasal verb Q R S Skype T teach English Teaching English as a foreign language Text Abbreviations tips U Verb W Y
- Advanced English Lesson
- Beginner English
- Business English
- Difference Between
- English Grammar
- English Idioms
- English Learning Tips
- English Questions and Answers
- English Speaking
- English Test
- English Videos
- English Vocabulary
- English Vocabulary Dictionary
- English Writing
- For Kids
- For Teachers
- Intermediate English
- Learn English
- Listening Skills
- Phrasal Verbs
- Teach English
- Useful English learning websites
It means there is explicit content if you click on the link
I am looking for the phonetic symbol that looks like an elongated s and what sound it represents
Respected Management, its Very useful
I will have to put in more effort, since I failed most of the attempted questions😢. Thanks for this
Physical bullying,cyber,verbal and emotional can mentally damage someone it can cause them to hurt themself or worse .