What is the best way to say thank you? How to say thank you?
This is a very popular question that many of our students often ask. In fact, there are several ways to express your gratitude!
In this article, we will look at the various ways of saying ‘thanks’, and how they would differ in a number of situations. Whether you need to say it formally or informally. To a friend or to a colleague. For a gift or for someone’s help. There’s a whole variety of phrases you can use!
Everyone wants to be appreciated, so say it the right way, and show that you mean it by being sincere, rather than seeming as if you are just saying thank you out of obligation.
It’s not just about expressing verbal gratitude, but also about using the right body language and selecting the right words!
Have a look at the various options below, and pick the right one for the occasion…
Saying Thank You to your TEACHER
Saying Thank You at a WEDDING
Saying Thank You at CHRISTMAS
Saying Thank You to your BOSS
Saying Thank You in FORMAL BUSINESS
👉 SOME BASIC PHRASES
- Thank you
- Thanks a lot.
- Thank you very much.
- Thank you. That’s very kind of you.
- Thank you. You’re so helpful.
- Thanks for your kind words.
- Thank you for coming here today.
- “I love your dress; you look so beautiful!” – “Thank you very much.”
- “Would you like a sandwich?” – “Oh, thanks. I would love one.”
- “Can I help you with anything?” – “No, thank you. I’m fine at the moment.”
👉 SAYING THANK YOU TO YOUR TEACHER
This can be done in many ways. As we know, teachers are generally helpful, considerate, encouraging, and forthcoming towards their students.
The way you say it would depend on what you are saying thank you for. Teachers are some of the most influential and inspiring people that we come across in our lives, yet they tend to be regrettably under-appreciated.
Just writing a simple ‘thank you’ note, or saying a few special words will go a long way, and be remembered for years to come. Even recommending your teacher to others is a great way to show that you really enjoyed studying with them!
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you I really appreciate your help.
- I am eternally grateful for everything you’ve taught me.
- Thank you for sharing your wisdom with me.
- I cannot thank you enough for helping me.
- I am very thankful that you are my teacher.
- How can I ever thank you enough.
- Teachers like you are not easy to find.
- I really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done to help me.
- I am grateful for the positive learning environment you provided me with.
- I have learnt so much, thanks to you.
- Thank you for your guidance and support.
- Thank you for helping me improve.
- I want you to know how much I value your support.
- Your lessons have been very insightful and fun!
- I have had so much fun learning with you!
- Your approach to teaching inspires me.
- Thank you for being patient and helping me improve.
- I wholeheartedly appreciate everything you’ve done for me.
- You’re the best teacher ever!
- “I just want to say how grateful I am that you were my teacher. Your guidance and support has been amazing! Thank you for helping me improve”
- “I really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done to help me. I have learnt so much, and it’s all thanks to you!”
- “You were there for me every step of the way, and I wholeheartedly appreciate everything you’ve done for me.”
- “Thank you for being so patient, and helping me improve! Teachers like you are hard to find, and I’m eternally grateful for everything you’ve taught me.”
- “I had so much fun learning with you. Your lessons were very insightful and interactive, so thank you. You’re the best teacher ever!”
👉 SAYING THANK YOU AT A WEDDING
There are various reasons why people would want to express thanks to wedding guests. Maybe they bought an extravagant wedding present, gave a generous monetary gift, helped with the preparations, or simply turned up to join in the special celebrations!
It could even be that you were the wedding guest, and would like to thank them for the invite! Pick the right words and remember to make everyone feel like you really appreciate what they’ve done for you.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for coming.
- Thank you for joining us today.
- We appreciate you sharing our celebrations with us.
- Thank you for sharing this special day with us.
- We really appreciate your presence here.
- Thank you for the gift, we’re very grateful.
- I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful gift.
- We will remember this day and your contribution forever.
- You were invaluable today, thank you for all your help.
- What would we have done without your help? Thank you so much. (Rhetorical question)
- Thank you ever so much for your generous gift.
- Words cannot describe how grateful we are.
- It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day.
- Thank you for inviting me to share your special day.
- I’m very happy to be a part of your celebrations.
Thank You Wedding Cards 👉https://go.magik.ly/ml/o0ep/
- “Thank you for coming today. It’s been such a wonderful day, and we really appreciate you sharing it with us.”
- “Thank you for the gift, and for joining us today. It’s been so special, and we’re really glad you were her.”
- “Thank you so much for everything you did to help make this day perfect. What would we have done without you?” (Rhetorical question)
- “Thank you for all the lovely gifts, and for being here with us. It means a lot.”
- “Words cannot describe how grateful we are for your generous gift. Thank you ever so much.”
- “It was a pleasure to be a part of your special day. Thank you for inviting me, and sharing your happiness.”
👉 SAYING THANK YOU AT CHRISTMAS
Christmas is a very special time of the year for many families; it is a time when friends and families can get together and celebrate in good cheer. It is usually a time of union, togetherness, and goodwill.
If you don’t celebrate Christmas, you may have an alternative special celebration which brings you closer to your loved ones, such as Eid, Diwali, Thanksgiving Day, or Hanukkah.
These expressions can be used for any of these occasions! Just change the word ‘Christmas’ to your own special occasion.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for the wonderful Christmas present.
- Thank you for the Christmas wishes.
- Sending special thanks to you this Christmas. (Written message)
- I’d like to say a warm thank you to you this Christmas.
- Thank you for making me feel special this Christmas.
- Thank you so much for making my Christmas so special.
- Thanks for the Christmas gifts; I love them!
- It has been a very special Christmas thanks to you. Happy Holidays.
- Thank you Santa! The children loved your gifts.
- Thank you for inviting us to your beautiful home for Christmas.
- Thank you for the wonderful Christmas feast!
- Thank you for including us in your Christmas festivities.
- Thank you for hosting Christmas dinner; it was divine.
- Thank you for a memorable Christmas gathering.
- You are a very gracious host. Thank you for the warm invite.
- I really appreciate the gift card, thank you so much!
- Thank you for such a practical gift.
- Thank you for the beautiful Christmas card.
- We all appreciate the lovingly wrapped gifts. Thank you so much!
- Sending you wishes of joy and happiness in return.
- Thank you for spreading the Christmas cheer.
- What a magical Christmas experience! Thank you.
- “I’d like to say a very warm thank you to you this Christmas. Thank you for making us feel so special. Merry Christmas”
- “Thank you for inviting us to your beautiful home for Christmas! You are a very gracious host and we had a magical time. Warm Wishes.”
- “What a wonderful Christmas feast, thank you ever so much! We had a lovely time.”
- “Thank you for the beautiful Christmas presents. How thoughtful of you!”
- “Thank you for the Christmas parcel. Sending you wishes of joy and happiness in return.”
👉 SAYING THANK YOU TO YOUR BOSS
Managers, supervisors, and other people in superior positions to you at work can be quite hard to speak to on a regular day, let alone when having to say ‘thank you’ for something!
Especially if they have given you something you really needed, such as extended holiday time, professional support or even a promotion!
Using the right words is very important, if you want them to really understand how grateful you are, and that you’re not just saying thanks because they’re your boss and you have to…..!
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you for extending compassion and flexibility when I needed it.
- As a supervisor, you are truly inspirational to your staff.
- Your strong leadership skills along with your support has earned you much deserved respect.
- Your support and dedication to your team has earned you much deserved admiration.
- I am thankful to be a part of your team.
- The workers have seen your dedication, and we would like to express our appreciation.
- We are grateful for your kindness, loyalty and commitment to all of us.
- If there ever was a boss who deserves praise and adulation, that person is you!
- Thank you for providing us with such a great working environment.
- I want to thank you for the expression of faith in my abilities.
- I would like to sincerely thank you for this gesture.
- Allow me to express my sincerest gratitude for this opportunity you have given me.
- I value the trust you have put into me and will work hard to maintain it.
- Thank you very much for putting your trust in me and agreeing to my extended holiday request.
- I am eternally grateful for your trust, and appreciate you allowing me to have this time off work.
- Thank you for your support, guidance and encouragement.
- Thank you for the opportunities you provided, and for having faith in me.
- I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for giving me this opportunity.
- “I would like to sincerely thank you for such a fantastic opportunity. I appreciate your faith in my abilities and will certainly do my very best to meet your expectations.”
- “Allow me to express my sincerest gratitude for this opportunity you have given me. I am eternally grateful for the trust you have put in me and will work hard to maintain it.”
- “Thank you for extending compassion and flexibility when I needed it. As a supervisor, you are truly inspirational to your staff.”
👉 SAYING THANK YOU IN FORMAL BUSINESS
In the business world, sometimes it is important to express thanks to people other than your boss too, such as colleagues, other firms, or even clients!
Showing that you appreciate them placing their business with you, providing support, or even partnership, is important. Here is how you can say it well. Most of these can be used for direct contact or email communication.
Phrases with examples:
- Thank you very much; your support is greatly appreciated.
- We would like to express our gratitude.
- I am most grateful for your support.
- Thank you for providing the requested information.
- Thank you for all your assistance.
- Thank you for raising your concerns.
- Thank you for your kind co-operation.
- Thank you for your attention to this matter.
- Thank you for your consideration.
- Thank you once again for everything you’ve done.
- How kind you are to help me. Thank you very much.
- Thank you for spending time with me.
- Thank you for taking the trouble to help me. I do appreciate it.
- Many thanks for your assistance in our project.
- Many thanks for your letter/email.
- I was so pleased to hear from you.
- I greatly appreciate your kind words.
- I am very thankful that you are considering my problem.
- Thank you for your kind consideration.
- “I was so pleased to hear from you, and am very thankful that you’re considering my problem. Thank you for your attention to this matter.”
- “I would like to express my gratitude for all that you have done. I am most grateful for your support. Thank you for taking the time to help me, I really do appreciate it.”
- “I am very thankful that you are considering my application. I appreciate your response and look forward to hearing from you again soon.”
- “Thank you for raising your concerns. I appreciate your co-operation and will respond to your query very soon.”
👉 ACCEPTING THANKS
- That’s all right.
- You’re welcome.
- You’re very welcome.
- Don’t mention it.
- Not at all.
- It wasn’t a problem at all.
- It’s nothing.
- It’s my pleasure.
- The pleasure is all mine.
- My pleasure.
- “Thanks a lot for your help, you’re very kind.” – “Don’t mention it.”
- ‘Thanks a lot for looking after the children.” – “It’s my pleasure. I love children.”
- “Thank you so much. I couldn’t have managed without your help.” – “No problem.”
- “Thank you for such a wonderful gift.” – “You’re very welcome.”
👉 Thank you after Interview Email
2 Follow up emails after the interview:
1. Thank You email after interview &
2. Sample email to check the status of job application
Writing a Follow-Up E-mail After an Interview
If you are reading this post, then you are already taking the incentive for a job, career, or position you are interested in. Interviews are a necessary part of life, whether they are for a position as a student, volunteer, intern, or employee.
Today, to send a follow-up e-mail after an interview is proper etiquette, and in many ways expected.
Sending that e-mail does at least three things:
1. It shows your interest and care in the position you are pursuing.
2. It gives you the opportunity to let the interviewer know any important information that you forgot to note during the interview (it happens to us all).
3. It separates you from the other interviewees, so you do not get lost in the crowd.
There are two main types of follow-up e-mails:
1. The thank you e-mail within 24 hours of the interview
2. The status check e-mail to get an update on where your stand with the position.
At the end of the interview, it’s smart to ask the interviewer what you can expect from the hiring process, and if they have a timeline as to when they will have the position filled. Then you will know when that day arrives, you can send a status check e-mail.
Also, remember to always check your grammar and spelling before sending any e-mail to potential employers.
Thank You after Interview Email Sample
Include a simple subject line on the e-mail that states your name first, and intentions.
Subject Line: Gabriel Espinoza – Thank you
Hello [Interviewer’s Name],
I would like to thank you again for taking the time to meet with me. I am highly interested in the position, and impressed by [The Company’s] core values and philosophies you related.
My experience in [software, education, hospitality, medicine, etc.], and my skills of [bilingualism, communication, collaboration, etc.] will be an advantageous match in working with a dynamic team, such as yours, toward [The Company’s Goals].
Please keep me informed on the status of this position, and of any other information you may need of me. I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Of course, this is only an example idea; you may add or delete whatever information you find necessary. It should be your own voice, but it should be confident.
Try to stay away from phrases like, “I believe I would do well in this position because…,” or “I feel I am a good fit because…” Starting a statement with “I feel” or “I believe,” sometimes show that you are unsure; you only “believe.”
There is more conviction and confidence in beginning your statement with “My past experience will benefit your team because…” or “My skills are an advantageous match because…”
Also, remember to use this thank you e-mail to re-emphasize a skill you have, or bring up an important point you forgot to make during the interview.
Follow up Email after Interview Sample
During your interview, if you asked for the deadline the employers intended to hire, then when that day comes, you can wait two or three more days, then send your status check e-mail.
Again, it only shows that you care for the position and want to pursue it. So, do not shy away or feel as though you are coming across as too pushy.
Subject Line: Gabriel Espinoza- [Name of Position] position
Hello [Interviewer’s Name],
I hope all is well with you. When we last spoke, you had mentioned these would be the final days of the hiring process timeline. I am writing for a status update of the [Name of Position] position. Please let me know if any additional information from me is needed throughout this process regarding the position.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you and take care,
Both e-mails should be short and simple. Also, as a word of advice, if possible, keep both e-mails on the same e-mail thread, so when the interviewer reads the Status Check letter they quickly reference your Thank You letter.
Remember to write what feels comfortable to you, but be confident, polite, professional, keep your message short, and check your grammar before sending it. Regardless of what you write though, any follow-up e-mail is better than silence, so you are already on a positive and productive path.
👉 Thank You Letter For Scholarship
To (Name of Sponsor)
It was with great surprise and much joy that I received your generous sponsorship to a full scholarship at the Harvard University.
This sponsored scholarship is a once in a lifetime opportunity which will completely change my life. I intend to use this opportunity to the full and become the best that I can be. By doing my best, I hope to reflect well upon those who have given me this unique opportunity.
Once I have successfully passed all the tests and completed the training I look forward to inviting you to my graduation to express my appreciation for all that you have done.
With great appreciation
👉 Thank You Letter For Donation
Dear (Name of Sponsor)
We were moved to write and thank you for your generous support for the (name) charity.
Thanks to your sponsorship over the last six months, we have been able to collect hundreds of blankets, toothbrushes and other necessary items for the homeless people our charity helps.
If the support we have received recently continues, very soon, we hope to be able to provide some homeless individuals with a bed in a secure place to stay at night, off the streets. It is crucial with a cold winter expected just around the corner.
Your ongoing sponsorship of our charity is very much appreciated and is most important to us and those whom it benefits. Please find enclosed a greeting, thank you card and photo from some of the people your sponsorship has helped.
We sincerely thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
👉 Thank You for Birthday Wishes
It’s always a great feeling when you receive a message from a friend or family member on your birthday to wish you a happy birthday. However, sometimes it’s hard to think of new and creative ways to say thank you for these messages.
Thank You Wishes for Birthday
Below I have made a useful and creative list of responses you can send to your loved ones to show your appreciation:
- Thank you all for the birthday wishes.
- Thank you so much for the kind words.
- Thank you, it means a lot.
- You are so good for taking the time to wish me a happy birthday, thank you!
- Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!
- Your birthday message has made my birthday even more special, thank you.
- Thank you, you helped make this day so special for me!
- It’s so great to be able to share this special day with you.
- I really appreciate the kind birthday wishes, it wouldn’t be the same without you!
- Your words have made this day so much more special for me, thank you!
- Thank you for being with me on my birthday. No matter how old we get, we will always need our friends and family, your love and support has been and will always be much appreciated.
- Thanks for the awesome birthday wishes, you’re the best!
- Thank you so much for thinking of me on this day, your words have made my birthday so much more memorable!
- I really appreciate you remembering my birthday and taking the time to wish me happy birthday, you are so thoughtful!
If you want to thank a group of people for sending you kind words on your birthday, check out the list below:
- Hello everyone! I just wanted to thank you all for the birthday wishes, you have all made this day so memorable for me!
- Thanks guys, today would’t be the same without you all here with me!
- I want you guys to know that your kind words and birthday wishes on this day are truly appreciated and will never be forgotten, thank you!
- Thank you so much for all the birthday wishes, you guys have made this day so special for me.
- I’d like to take a second to thank you all for taking the time to wish me a happy birthday. Each and every one of you are so thoughtful and I hope you know how important your friendship is to me. I’m so lucky to have you all in my life!
- Thanks so much everyone! I’m so overwhelmed by all the kind words and best wishes.
- Seeing all these messages has warmed my heart, thank you!
- Wow! After reading all of your messages and kind words, I am really feeling loved! Thank you so much!
The great thing about the expressions above is that they can be easily modified to suit other special occasions such as anniversaries, weddings, the birth of a child and so on.
- I really appreciate you remembering our anniversary and taking the time to wish us a life time of happiness, you are so thoughtful!
- I want you guys to know that your kind words and well wishes on the birth of our first child are truly appreciated and will never be forgotten, thank you!
- Thank you, you helped us make our wedding day so special!
👉 Saying Thank You in Different Languages
Thank you in Spanish: Gracias
Thank you very much in Spanish: Muchas gracias!
Thank you in Italian: Grazie
Thank you very much in Italian: Grazie mille!
Thank you in Japanese: Arigato (ah-ree-gah’-toh) or written ありがとう
Thank you very much in Japanese: Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita or written どうもありがとうございました
Thank you in French: Merci
Thank you very much in French: Merci Beaucoup
Thank you in German: Danke
Thank you very much in German: Vielen Dank! Danke Schön!
Thank you in Chinese: Xièxiè 谢谢
Thank you very much in Chinese: Fēicháng gǎnxiè nǐ 非常感谢你
Thank you in Mandarin: Xièxiè 谢谢
Thank you very much in Mandarin: Fēicháng gǎnxiè nǐ 非常感谢你
Thank you in Korean: Gomabseubnida 고맙습니다
Thank you very much in Korean: Daedanhi gamsahabnida 대단히 감사합니다.
Thank you in Russian: Spasibo Спасибо
Thank you very much in Russian: Bol’shoye Spasibo большое спасибо
Thank you in Portuguese: Obrigado
Thank you very much in Portuguese: Muito Obrigado
Thank you in Arabic: Shukraan Lakum
Thank you very much in Arabic: Shukraan Jazilaan
Thank you in Thai: K̄hxbkhuṇ ขอบคุณ
Thank you very much in Thai: K̄hxbkhuṇ māk ขอบคุณมาก
Thank you in Greek: Efcharistó Ευχαριστώ
Thank you very much in Greek: Efcharistó polý Ευχαριστώ πολύ
Thank you in Vietnamese: Cảm ơn bạn
Thank you very much in Vietnamese: Cảm ơn nhiều
Thank you Emoji: 🙏
Thank you in Dutch: Dank je
Thank you very much in Dutch: Dank u zeer!
Thank you in Hindi: dhanyavaad धन्यवाद
Thank you very much in Hindi: aapaka bahut bahut dhanyavaad आपका बहुत बहुत धन्यवाद
Thank you in Hungarian: Köszönöm (KØ-sø-nøm)
Thank you very much in Hungarian: Köszönöm szépen!
Thank you in Ukrainian: Dyakuyu Дякую
Thank you very much in Ukrainian: Velyke Spasybi! Велике спасибі
👉 Thank you Memes and Thank you Images
How do YOU say thank you? Enter it in the comment box below.