How to Write a Short Story Step by Step Guide to Fast Writing
An effective short story is not about expressing or recording the feelings of the author but also about creating the same feelings among the readers.
Every story has a setup (beginning), confrontation (midpoint) and resolution (ending).
The major challenge for short story writers is the pre-writing process, i.e., creating the main elements of fiction writing: character(s), a point of view, theme, plot, etc. Besides, each author should conduct enough research on writing styles.
Here are the most essential points of writing a really good short story. You’ll know how to write a short story fast.
P.S: 18 Powerful Websites to Improve Your Writing Skills in English
3 Main Tips on How to Write Fast a Short Story
Pay attention that the points mentioned below aren’t just listed for reading but applying in your own story as well. You’ll surely notice how quick you’ll start writing.
- Read, read, read. Reading should be cultivated as a habit in order to write a top-quality, meaningful content. You will be better exposed to the other writing styles, other voices, other forms, and other genres of writing.
- Have an idea in your mind. There should be a basic idea for your story. It may be a fiction, non-fiction inspired by real-life events or a superhero story. Fix your idea before starting to write.
- Start early. Basic short story writing needs at least 10 hours. Every writer has his/her own pace of writing that depends on the ideas and creativity. But the golden rule states: the earlier you start dealing with a short story, the earlier you finish it.
10 Steps to Start Writing a Short Story
- Write an attractive first paragraph;
- Create the characters for your story;
- Think about a great point of view;
- Develop meaningful dialogues and conversations;
- Set up the plot;
- Develop the tension and strife;
- Create the climax or crisis;
- Determine a resolution;
- Do enough research;
- Rewrite/edit for more lucidity and precision.
This is the most common example of a successful story. Getting creative is the key to writing inspiring and successful stories. Rely on your past experience and knowledge to create your own structure.
6 Main Stages of High-Quality Writing
Determine the amount of time that you are going to spend on writing, then divide it accordingly:
- 10% on the creation of characters and their backgrounds,
- 15% on the outline of the story,
- 25% on research,
- 40% on the actual writing,
- 10% on the polishing of the written content.
2. Draw up the List of Scenes and Characters
The story contains a set of scenes and characters. Now, it’s time to create the outline – after what scene another will take place, what characters will appear in them, and so on. The short list of scenes and characters helps you organize the whole story. You’ll know what you need to cover in every part of your story.
When you write down the outline of the story, you may have some mixed feelings about the content.
Yes, research will help you get some ideas to load many possible details in your story. If you don’t research well, it may leave your story underdeveloped and frizzy. At this very moment, your story is on its way. That’s why some research can fill your scene list with interesting cold and hard ones.
Initially, whatever a story is in your mind or you plan to write, just write it without taking a break. It is the first step in short story writing. It helps you simplify the whole process. The practice of freewriting is one of the most powerful tools for thinking and creating.
5. Actual Writing
Once, you are done with the research, it is time to write busily. After freewriting, there may be a lot of sentences with good ideas and not good enough ones. Keep writing all the sentences that make any sense in your mind without worrying about editing. Just stick to the logical way of the presentation.
6. Put the Final Touches
You need to do everything so that your writing will dazzle. If a reader takes your piece of writing and notices some mistakes or ambiguous forms of words, will he/she be pleasantly surprised? Read out your story. Determine where you need to edit or rewrite. You should know that there is a quick online help with both writing and editing.
If you use a professional custom writing service for sale, your story, essay or dissertation will be passed through all the important stages.
When you are in the middle of achieving a milestone in your academic career, don’t let a written assignment get in your way. Outsourcing an affordable research paper writing service can be done through a cheap website. The high quality of an assignment is assessed how well it is prepared, written and edited.
Don’t fold your hands. Choose the best way to end your term.
Nice work!) Thanks for sharing. Before you write a short story, you need to make a work plan, prescribe a small scenario in which you will do all your work. I have a familiar writer with the written service https://writercheap.com/ he says that in the working process they always make small plans. This is the best way to plan your written work, and you know what’s going on.
This is quite logical, before building a house, first architect engaged in design. This is the right approach in almost every case. And writing a short story will work, too.
I would also recommend reading a helpful article on fast writing, it would help https://smartblogger.com/how-to-write-faster/