Everyone likes a healthy lifestyle, right? We do not always lead a healthy lifestyle, but we always talk about it. So, let’s learn how to talk about it in English!
Here, we will learn useful phrases and vocabulary that will help us to have a conversation about FITNESS and SPA related topics.
You can jump to any section of this article:
SE DÉTENDRE AVEC LES VAGUES DE L'OCÉAN
- Fitness Vocabulary
- Dialogs about getting in shape
- Fitness and Gym Idioms
- Spa Vocabulary
- Dialogs between Receptionist at spa and a Client
- Relaxation idioms
[Tweet ““It’s fun to feel healthy, and it’s fun to feel good.” – Matthew McConaughey”]
- Warm up
- Cool down
- Work out
- Get in shape
- Keep fit
- Sit- ups
- Cardio (Cardiovascular)
- Circuit training
[Tweet “Exercising: Warm up, Cool down, Work out, Get in shape, Keep fit, Push-ups, Sit- ups, Pull-ups, Squats, Crunches, Running”]
Body and Physical Health:
- Abs or abdominal muscles
- Heart rate
Types of Exercises:
- Aerobics exercises
- Muscular-strengthening exercises
- Low impact exercises
- High impact exercises
In a Fitness Center:
- Fitness Profile/Assessment
- Exercise machine
- Personal trainer
- Gym member
Exercise Machines or Gym Equipment:
- Elliptical Machine
- Step Stepper
- Stationary Bike
- Rowing Machine
- Weights Rack
- Punching Bag
- Exercise Ball
- Lifting weights
[Tweet “Fitness Activities: Aerobics, Pilates, Jogging, Yoga, Zumba, Judo, Karate, Dancing, Lifting weights”]
Gym / Fitness Membership:
- Sign up
- Membership card
- Weekly/monthly membership
- Join a gym/class
- Opening hours
Recommended for you:
Bathroom Vocabulary (Picture) – Bathroom Conversations
Asking about Gym / Fitness Membership:
- What kind of membership options do you have?
- Could you tell me about…
- I’d like some information about…
- How often can I use the gym with this membership?
- How much is a weekly/monthly membership?
Asking about Classes:
- What kind of classes do you offer?
- How many times a week is there a zumba (pilates, karate, etc.) class?
- Is there a waiting list…?
- Is a medical certificate required for any of the classes here?
Asking about Gym Facilities:
- What sort of facilities do you have?
- Could you show me how to use this equipment?
- How late do you stay open?
- What is the best time to come and use the gym?
Explaining what you want:
- I’d like to lose/gain weight/ get in shape/ increase muscle strength
- What would you suggest for….?
- Digestive System
- Gain/put on weight
- Lose weight
- Watch your figure
- Count the calories
- Cut down on
- Eat sensibly
Dialogs about getting in shape
1. A conversation between Alice (A) and Brenda (B) about getting in shape:
A: Hi Brenda! You look great. Have you been working out?
B: Thanks, Alice. Yes, I needed to get in shape.
A: You are always trying to keep fit. Good for you.
Can you suggest a good way to work out?
B: Well, first always remember to warm up before exercising, and cool down after exercising.
A: Okay. Are cardio exercises, like running, good for a warm up?
B: Yes, but you do not want to increase your heart rate too fast, so maybe start out slow.
A: Got it! Any suggestions for abs workout?
B: Try to do different things – do sit-ups, pull-ups, push-ups and squats. A little bit of everything.
A: Thanks. Hopefully, I’ll get in shape soon.
2. A conversation between a personal trainer (P) and a gym member (G):
P: All right! So, after we’ve completed your fitness assessment, I have a few suggestions for you.
G: Okay. I just really need to lose weight before my wedding.
P: Our fitness center will help you! We have the latest gym equipment and many different activities you can choose from.
G: I’d love to do some yoga and pilates.
P: These are good, but you need some active exercising if you want to lose weight faster.
G: Like zumba or aerobics?
P: Yes, exactly. You can also use one of our exercise machines. You can run on a treadmill, or ride a stationary bike.
G: Great. Should I do some weight lifting as well?
P: It’s not necessary. According to your fitness profile, you don’t need any muscular –strengthening exercises for now.
G: Okay. How many calories should I eat per day?
P: Don’t count the calories. Just cut down on sweets and fast food.
G: Great. I’ll do my best to eat sensibly.
P: Okay, ready to start? The lockers are right this way…
FITNESS / GYM IDIOMS:
In a bad shape
Someone who is in a bad physical condition
- He is in a very bad shape after his breakup.
[Tweet “IN A BAD SHAPE: Someone who is in a bad physical condition”]
In a good shape
Someone who is in a good physical condition
- She is in a surprisingly good shape after her pregnancy.
Bag of bones
Someone who is extremely thin
- Wow! Jane doesn’t need to go to the gym anymore, she’s already a bag of bones.
Full of beans
Someone who is lively and active
- Mary is always full of beans! I love that about her.
Fit as a fiddle
Someone who is in excellent state of health and in a good physical condition
- If you want to be fit as a fiddle, you need to work out and eat healthy.
[Tweet “FIT AS A FIDDLE: Someone who is in excellent state of health and in a good physical condition”]
Prime of one’s life
Someone who is in a best physical condition
- She’s 75 years old, but she’s in the prime of her life!
Ready to drop
Someone who is extremely tired
- I was working out for three hours today; I’m ready to drop now.
Recharge one’s batteries
Take a break from a tiring activity and rest
- Okay, let’s go and recharge our batteries, before night shift.
To get a roll of flesh around one’s waist
- I realized that I have a spare tire, and I really need to get in shape.
To do physical exercises
- My mother works out every day for an hour.
[Tweet “WORK OUT: To do physical exercises”]
To lift weights
- He has huge muscles. It’s all because he only pumps iron in the gym.
Have a sweet tooth
Like eating sweets (e.g. cakes, chocolate, candy)
- Jenny always had a sweet tooth, and she can’t do anything about it.
A diet that helps you lose weight very fast
- If you want to lose 15 kilos in three weeks, you need to be on a crash diet.
[Tweet “CRASH DIET: A diet that helps you lose weight very fast”]
To stuff your face
To eat a lot of food very fast
- Jack, please don’t stuff your face with chips and coke.
If you are tired of working out and getting in shape, why don’t you go and relax at a SPA?!
[Tweet “”Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is relax.” – Mark Black”]
- Beauty Treatment
- Skin Treatment
- Body Treatment
- Facial Treatment (or Facial)
- Hand Treatment
- Foot Treatment
- Nail care
- Hair and Scalp Treatment
- Eyebrow Threading
- Collagen Therapy
- Body Toning
- Acupuncture Treatment
- Mother-to- be Treatment/Pregnancy Treatment
- Back Wax
- Bikini Wax
- Brazilian Wax
- Chest Wax
- Leg Wax
- Mud Bath
- Milk and Honey Bath
- Hydro Bath
- Steam Bath
- Thermal Bath
[Tweet “Body baths: Mud Bath, Milk and Honey Bath, Hydro Bath, Steam Bath, Thermal Bath”]
- Clay Wrap
- Seaweed Wrap
- Cellulite Wrap
- Herbal Wrap
- Mud Wrap
- Slimming Wrap
- Aroma Body Wrap
- Thai massage
- Swedish massage
- Hot stone massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Sports massage
- Detoxifying facial (or anti-aging facial)
- Calming Facial
- Hydrating Facial
- Lymphatic Facial
- Makeup Consultation
- Ayurvedic Facial
Types of Skin:
[Tweet “Types of Skin: Normal, Dry, Combination, Oily, Sensitive”]
- Peel-off mask
- Clay mask
- Cream mask
- Warm oil mask
- Thermal mask
- Natural mask
- Exfoliation mask
- Hot wax
- Essential Oils
[Tweet “Spa Ingredients: Mud, Seaweed, Salt, Scrub, Hot wax, Beeswax, Honey, Herbs, Minerals, Essential Oils”]
- Tea Tree
- Lemon Grass
- Yiang Yiang
- Spa Manager
- Treatment Room
- Steam Room
- Vichy Shower
- Locker Area
- Fitness Center
- Beauty Salon
- Exercise Pavilion
- Saltwater Pool
- Natural Well
Manicure and Pedicure:
- Classic Manicure
- French Manicure/Pedicure
- Luxury Manicure/Pedicure
- Gel Manicure/Pedicure
- Callus Peel
- Paraffin Wax
- Nail File
- Nail Clippers
- Nail Buffer
- Nail Brush
- Manicure Stick
- Cuticle Knife
- Cuticle Scissors
- Cuticle Pusher
- Emery Board
- Toenail Scissors
- Toe separator
- Tweezers (also for eyebrow threading)
- One-day pass
- Seasonal Membership
- Annual Membership
- Guest Pass
- Special Package
- Birthday Coupon/Package/Deal
- Special Offers
- Online booking/registration
Asking about the Treatments:
- Would you explain what is acupuncture (thai massage, reflexology, etc.)?
- What kind of service do you have here?
- Do you do body wrapping (manicure, steam baths, etc.) here?
- What is a sports/thai/swedish massage like?
- How long is …?
- What is the effect of…?
Asking about Membership and Special Deals:
- What does a body/facial package include?
- Do you have any Birthday packages?
- Could you suggest the best deal?
- How much/How expensive is…?
Recommending a Treatment:
- I would suggest…
- You would benefit from…
- You should prepare yourself for…
- May I recommend…?
Conversations between a Receptionist at Spa and a Client
1. A Conversation between a Receptionist (R) at spa and a Client (C):
R: Hello! Welcome to “Summer Springs” Spa Center. What would you like to do?
C: It’s my first time in a spa, so what would you recommend?
R: What kind of treatment would you like? Full body treatment, facial or just skin treatment?
C: I would like to get a facial and maybe a body wrap.
R: Great. We have a calming facial, which will rejuvenate your skin and make it tight.
C: Superb! And how about a body wrap?
R: I can recommend a herbal wrap or a seaweed wrap.
C: I’ve had lavender and jasmine herbal wrap before, but I’d like to try the seaweed wrap today. What are the benefits of a seaweed wrap?
R: Seaweed wrap boosts your metabolism and enhances skin health.
C: Excellent! Sign me up for one. What facilities does your spa have?
R: We have 15 treatment rooms, 5 steam rooms, and saltwater pool outside and inside. We also have an exercise pavilion where you can take yoga classes with our instructor.
C: Wow! It’s pretty big, isn’t it?
R: Indeed. Thank you. Right this way to the lockers. Feel free to pick up clean towels and a robe on your left. Enjoy your stay!
C: Thank you! I sure will.
2. Booking an appointment at spa.
R: Welcome to “Summer Springs” Spa Center. Rachel speaking.
C: Hello! I would like to book an appointment for a massage.
R: Okay. What kind of massage would you prefer?
C: I really need something relaxing and calming. Is there anything you would like to recommend?
R: We have a hot stone massage when warm stones are places on certain points of your body in order to loosen your muscles and balance the energy centers of your body.
C: That sounds interesting, but a bit strange for me. Is there anything else?
R: Yes, of course. We can offer you a Swedish massage, which is a classical whole body massage, or Acupressure massage, which is a Chinese traditional pressure-point massage.
C: Well, I usually get Swedish massage; so this time I’ll go for Acupressure.
R: Excellent! When would you like to have your massage? Our Acupressure masseuse is available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 2 till 6 pm.
C: 5:30 on Friday is perfect for me. I get off at 5 pm.
R: May I have your name, and telephone number, please?
C: Sheryl Jones. My number is 74156789.
R: Thank you, Sheryl. See you on Friday.
C: Thanks. Bye!
3. Asking about treatments:
C: I would like to get a whole body treatment. What would you recommend?
R: Let’s start with an exfoliation mask, and finish with a hydrating facial.
C: What is an exfoliation mask?
R: It’s a cleansing mask that helps to remove all dead skin cells.
C: Wow! Sounds great. Can I also get a body wrap that tightens my skin?
R: Definitely. I would recommend a herbal wrap or a slimming wrap.
C: What’s the difference?
R: A herbal wrap heals and detoxifies while a sliming wrap releases excess fluids to tighten specific areas of the body.
C: Slimming wrap sounds exactly like what I need. Would it be a good idea to get a bath after a body wrap?
R: I will be honest, the effect of the body wrap and a bath are pretty much the same. Just instead of being wrapped in towels or sheets you will be laying in a bath.
C: Okay. I see. Then, I’ll take the body wrap.
R: Perfect! Would you like to have a massage between your facial and body wrap?
C: Yes, please. I do a lot of physical activity, and my muscles are very stiff because of that. What type of message would you recommend for muscle relaxation?
R: I believe that a sports massage will be perfect for you. It will not only relax your muscles, it will also reduce the pain.
C: Wonderful! My back is very sore.
R: Okay. So, I’m signing you up for an exfoliation mask, hydrating facial, sports massage and a slimming body wrap. Right?
C: Right! Could I also get an aromatherapy steam bath? I really like those.
R: Sure. All set. Please, take your key – locker number 28. Here is your bathrobe and clean towels. Enjoy!
- Wow, man! You have been so stressed lately. You need to chill out.
[Tweet “CHILL OUT: To relax”]
Let your hair down
To relax and enjoy yourself
- Katie, finally let her hair down, and went to Hawaii with her husband.
Put your feet up
To relax, and not do anything
- My boss just put his feet up today, and didn’t seem to care.
Take it easy
To do things at a comfortable pace, to relax
- You need to take it easy at work; otherwise, you will feel very stressed.
[Tweet “TAKE IT EASY: To do things at a comfortable pace, to relax”]
- He’s so cool! He always knows how to hang loose.
To become more relaxed
- Thank you for recommending that spa; it really helped me to loosen up.
To do things slower, to relax
- My dad finally decided to wind down with repairing his car.
Pass the time
To spend time (usually relaxing)
- I just wanted to pass the time, so I read a book.
[Tweet “PASS THE TIME: To spend time (usually relaxing)”]
When you are at a spa or a fitness center, don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as you need. Ask again, if something is still unclear ☺ Make sure you understand everything that they offer.
P.S. If you feel that there is any information that is missing in this blog post. Feel free to let me know ☺ Thank you! Enjoy!