Sherry is not a common name for a person. The usual variant is Cherry, which is a name after the cherry fruit. Sherry is less common because it’s actually the name of an alcoholic drink.
So what does the name Sherry mean?
- The given name Sherry comes from French, Cherie, which means darling.
- A less common meaning of the name is “from the white meadow,” and comes from the Gaelic.
- Another meaning comes from Hebrew, and means “fertile plain.”
All of these meanings depend on the country the person is from. The most common connection for the name Sherry is with the drink.
Sherry is a fortified wine. It’s made in the same way as wine, but left to ferment longer so it has a higher alcohol content. It is much sweeter than regular wine, and is called a desert wine because of that.
How do Japanese get a delicious broth?
Countries where the name Sherry is popular
France. As a name it is most common in France, where the wine is made. The name Sherry comes from this wine type.
Sherry name popularity
Sherry’s highest popularity was in 1962. It was both popular as a girl and a boy name. This name is unique, for sure.
Is Sherry a female name?
Yes, the name Sherry is a French girl name.
Characteristics of the Name Sherry
People with the name Sherry love art and are very creative.
Names similar to Sherry
Famous People with the name Sherry
- Sherry Turkle (born in 1948) is the Abby Rockefeller Mauzé Professor of the Social Studies of Science and Technology.
- Sherry Lansing (born in 1944) is a former CEO of Paramount Pictures, and a president of production at 20th Century Fox.
- Sherry Lynn is an American voice actress for animated movies and video games.