“Depression” is a word we hear often, because it can be used in different ways. The
word “depression” has three major definitions.
A feeling of extreme unhappiness or discouragement.
- My mother went through a depression after my father’s death.
A severe economic recession; when an economy is suffering.
- The Great Depression in the United States was a difficult time to find
work, and support a family.
Something that is pushed down, sunken, or hollow on the
- We were planning to build a house on this property, but now we have
noticed a big depression on the land, that might lead to flooding.
Below are a few synonyms to this commonly used word, depression, and examples
of how to use them, so you can start practicing them today!
Feeling an extreme sadness.
- The woman felt dejected after her beloved dog died.
- After the events of the previous day, I woke up feeling an extreme dejection.
Feeling emotionally low of hope or confidence.
- I want to have hope, but after 12 rejection letters, I’m beginning to feel a
- Together, with love and support, we’ve gotten past the moment of despondency after last year’s events.
Completely being without hope.
- Do not despair; you need to have hope for each and every day!
- The music had so much despair to the tune and melody.
Feeling emotional darkness.
- Walking through that dark, thick forest, I couldn’t help but feel a kind of
gloom being there alone.
- It was a rainy, dark, gloomy day, but sometimes, those are my favorite.
Not having hope.
- It’s true, after a certain amount of rejections, I began to feel hopeless, but now
in retrospect, I see the benefits of the situation.
- Hopelessness will benefit no one if you let it consume you.
A physical, mental, or emotional distress.
- There was so much misery during the war, but as a community, we always maintained hope.
- Misery is a dangerous emotion if you let it stay with you for too long.
An emotion of severe sadness or distress caused by loss or
- After my friend’s funeral, the sorrow stayed with me for months and years
- The film was sorrowful, but so beautiful in its message.
A period of economic decline in a nation or city.
- The recession resulted in a lot of lost homes and businesses.
- The big question is what will happen to all of the recent college graduates,
during this recession?
An empty space within a solid object.
- My dentist found a deep cavity in one of the molars of my teeth.
- The car made a heavy noise as it drove over the large cavity in the road.
A small hollow made by pressure.
- I dropped my phone, and was so upset to find an ugly dent on its side, when I
picked it up.
- The car parked next to mine was too close, and its driver dented my side door
when opening theirs.
A deep dip in something.
- The scar on my right arm has left an indentation that always reminds me of
the day I had my bicycle accident.
- My boyfriend bought me a silver necklace with an indentation of a heart.