The next time you want to go out with friends for a meal at a restaurant you may need to book a table or, in other words, make a reservation.
Your name is usually always required to make a booking.
This article is going to teach you the vocabulary to help you reserv a table.
Table Reservation at a Restaurant
10 Everyday Words Related to RESTAURANT || Vocabulary || ESL Advice
To ask that a service or product is available only for you at a particular time.
- I’d like to make a booking for tonight at 7 pm. My name is (name).
- I’d like to book a table for tonight at 7 pm.
A synonym of booking, these words can be used similarly.
- I’d like to make a reservation for tonight at 7 pm. My name is (name).
- I would like to reserve a table for tonight at 7 pm.
When you don’t want the booking or reservation made previously.
- I would like to cancel the booking/reservation I made for tonight under the name of (name).
The plural of person, it is used to specify how many people will be coming.
- I need to make a booking for 23 people. My name is (name).
The list of food and drinks that are served at the restaurant.
- Before I make a booking, what kind of menu do you have, seafood or meats?
6. Non-Smoking / Smoking
To say whether you want to sit in an area of the restaurant that allows cigarettes or not.
- I would like a table in the non-smoking section, please.
7. Area Selection – Window / Inside / Outside
- We want a table by the window if you have one.
- We would like to be seated inside.
- Can you reserve one of your outside tables for us, please?
A booth is a table that has long cushion chairs around it. The chairs have backs that separate each table from one another. This kind of seating is normally found in cafes.
- I would like a booth, please.
A word used to ask if there are tables that can be reserved or not.
- Do you have any tables available this afternoon?
- What is your booking availability for a large group of 50 people for tomorrow at lunch?
10. Booking Times
What is the earliest/latest time I can make a reservation?
- Please reserve a table for me at (time). My name is (name).
- Do you have any times available to make a booking for tonight?
- What time does the restaurant open this evening?
- Do you allow bookings?
11. Special Occasions
- It is our Ten year wedding anniversary next month, and I wanted to see if you have any special offers or arrangements before I booked a table with you?
- Can I please reserve your best table for Friday next week? I am planning on proposing to my Girlfriend during the evening; can arrangements be made to have the ring brought to our table in a Champagne Glass?
Booking a table at a restaurant is easy if you remember the three most important things you need to include in your request.
- Your Name
- How many people.
Where you would like to sit is an additional detail, include it when you make the booking, especially if you would like a particular table.
We hope that this helps you to book your table the next time you go out to eat with friends or family. Please leave us a comment if you liked this article and please check out our other great articles on the website.
A Adjectives B Business English C D dictionary E English grammar English Idioms English language English Learning Tips English phrases English teacher English Vocabulary English Vocabulary English words F G H how to learn english I idioms Infographic K L Learn English M N noun O P phrasal verb Q R S Skype T teach English Teaching English as a foreign language Text Abbreviations tips U Verb W
I want to improve my English speaking. If you are interested, please do call me. My Skype id: live:.cid.acb1b15ed90c1ce0
really well explained, thank you!
What an explanation, really incredible
Except saying “we are 6” is not very good english. Say “there are 6 people in my family”. The others…
Thank you, happy to help! 🙂
- Advanced English Lesson
- Beginner English
- Business English
- Difference Between
- English Grammar
- English Idioms
- English Learning Tips
- English Questions and Answers
- English Speaking
- English Test
- English Videos
- English Vocabulary
- English Vocabulary Dictionary
- English Writing
- For Kids
- For Teachers
- Intermediate English
- Learn English
- Listening Skills
- Phrasal Verbs
- Teach English
- Useful English learning websites