SOS meaning: SOS is a series of individual letters that stand for the International Signal Corps, which was founded in 1917 by the French and British governments to help coordinate military operations during World War I. The signal corps sent out radio messages using Morse code (the international standard) to communicate between soldiers on the battlefield.
You may hear SOS throughout the day, maybe in music, casual conversation, or in a work meeting. It’s a widely used expression with a strong meaning.
What does SOS stand for?
SOS stands for “Save Our Souls”.
In short, “SOS” means “help” or “MayDay” or “I’m in trouble”
SOS comes from the Latin word Salvus O Spiritu Sancto meaning saved by God. An SOS message is an international distress signal that uses Morse Code.
Originally, SOS was a visual distress signal in Morse code for sailors. Each letter was represented by a signal. A ship could send out a distress call if there was an emergency, like a fire or collision.
SOS Medical Meaning
SOS can mean many different things in the medical field, including “Save our Subluxation,” “Stent or Surgery,” “Surgery on Site,” “Signs of Stress,” etc. It’s usually used when writing prescriptions.
Flashes of Light
SOS Code sequence is(…—…) in Morse. The universal SOS consists of three short, three long, and three short flashes of light.
It meant the sailors creating the SOS signal were in distress and in need of help.
Eventually, over time, it became the international alarm signal of distress.
Examples of SOS in a sentence
- The ship put out an SOS alarm signal to be rescued.
- I mentally cried out an SOS once I realized the math test was today.
- The base received an SOS alarm signal from its military soldiers.
- The family created an SOS Kickstart to raise money for their son’s medical expenses.
- I made an SOS call to my mom because I had completely forgotten the recipe for her famous cookies.
What Is Morse Code?
A code using long and short light or sound signals to represent letters.
- Morse code is a type of visual language that uses dots and dashes to represent letters
- morse code is the oldest form of telegraphy still in use today
- is an international standard for sending messages over wires
In 1838, Samuel F.B. Morse invented the electric telegraph, which allowed people to transmit information over long distances. The invention of wireless communication helped sailors to save lives during World War I and II. It also led to the development of radio and television.
- ‘To Do’ or ‘To Be Doing’. To Be Doing Meaning
- 10 Different Ways to Ask for Help
- Helpful synonym. 12 Synonyms for Helpful: Accommodating, Considerate, Thoughtful,…
- 50 😋 😎 Most Common Text Abbreviations [Image]
- NSFW Meaning. What is NSFW mean on Social media Platform?
- What does IG mean? Is it Instagram?
- What does SMH mean? 🤦♀️ on Facebook, on Instagram, in Texting
- What does LB mean?
Browse by category
A Adjectives B Business English C D dictionary E English grammar English Idioms English language English Learning Tips English teacher English Vocabulary English Vocabulary English words F G H how to learn english I idioms Infographic J L Learn English M N new words noun O P phrasal verb Q R S Skype T teach English Teaching English as a foreign language Text Abbreviations U V W Y
- Advanced English Lesson
- Beginner English
- Business English
- Difference Between
- English Grammar
- English Idioms
- English Learning Tips
- English Questions and Answers
- English Speaking
- English Test
- English Videos
- English Vocabulary
- English Vocabulary Dictionary
- English Writing
- For Kids
- For Teachers
- Intermediate English
- Learn English
- Listening Skills
- Phrasal Verbs
- Teach English
- Useful English learning websites
Babbel reviews are generally positive, with many users finding value in the platform’s language learning programs. 1. Effective Language Learning:…
1. Popular Languages: Babbel provides comprehensive courses for some of the most widely spoken and learned languages, including: Spanish French…
Here’s a breakdown of Babbel’s pricing: Free Trial: Babbel typically offers a short free trial period, usually around 7 to…
Is there a summary of Babbel reviews?
What languages I can learn on Babbel?